× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7000 randomly blocks a network printer

mrstatic
Aspirant

EX7000 randomly blocks a network printer

My EX7000 randomly blocks one of my network printers. The wifi to my laptop keeps on working, but the IP address of just one of my network printers can't be reached. By rebooting the EX7000 I can get it to recognize the blocked printer.

Model: EX7000|AC1900 Nighthawk WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

have you tried setting a static ip address for the printer? 

Or a reserved IP address? 

(usually done in the router for both options)

Message 2 of 8
mrstatic
Aspirant

All my network printers have static addresses.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

How frequently is it happening? 

what router is it connected to? 

If you log into the EX7000 when it happens, is the printer still showing as connected and having an IP address? 

are you using smart connect/OneWifi?

Message 4 of 8
mrstatic
Aspirant

How frequent the problem occurs depends on how often that printer is used. It could be biweekly or less often. Now that I know it's an EX7000 problem, I will keep a command window open and try pinging the printer several times a day to catch the misbehavior.

I use Fios. The router is a Fios Quantum Gateway G1100.

When it fails again, I'll log into the EX7000, and report back.

I don't even know what smart connect is. If you mean using the WPS button, I never do that.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

You could try downgrading the firmware a version or 2. I've seen firmware issues cause drops. 

Message 6 of 8
mrstatic
Aspirant

Netgear always encourages users to take the latest firmware upgrade to help close security vulnerabilities. I'd rather live with the need to occasionally reboot the extender, than open myself up to wifi pirates.

Message 7 of 8
mrstatic
Aspirant

I realize that I have failed to fully describe my network situation when this failure occurs.

Firstly, I'm only having the drops from my wifi connected laptop. In the case of the network printer that never drops, that printer is plugged into the wired portion of my home network. The EX7000 never drops that printer.

In the case of the network printer that drops, that printer is plugged into one of the ports on the EX7000. So...It's simply a matter of the EX7000 shutting down its own ports. HTH

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7