× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX7300 wired connected NAS has no internet connectivity

havezet
Aspirant

EX7300 wired connected NAS has no internet connectivity

Hi all,

I've purchased a Netgear EX7300 extender. The main reason for me to buy this is to connect my NAS to the router that is physically located too far away from the router. The NAS (Synology 216+) is connected with a cable to the EX7300 which is connected over 2.4G and 5G with the router. The Wifi works fine, I can connect to the Wifi of the Extender with my iPhone and get great throughput and can access the internet.

The cable connected NAS gets an IP address from the router and I can access the NAS from within the network. The NAS itself has no access to the internet though. I've tried about everything and hope that someone here can help. If not then the device is of no use to me.

t.i.a.

Hert

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wall-plug Range Extender
Message 1 of 7
TheEther
Guru

Can you ping the router from the Synology?

Does the Synology have sensible DNS server and default gateway addresses?

Message 2 of 7
havezet
Aspirant

I've connected to the synology with SSH. I can not ping the gateway (192.168.1.254). And I also can't ping an internet address like Google's DNS 8.8.8.8

Again, when connecting over Wifi I can access everything. This is only for a cable connected device.

Message 3 of 7
havezet
Aspirant

FWIW; from the Synology I can ping the IP address of the EX7300 (192.168.1.4). I then configured the Synology to use the 192.168.1.4 as the gateway, to no avail

Message 4 of 7
TheEther
Guru

The extender is not a router so do not use its IP address as the gateway.

It's odd that the Synology can't ping the router.  Can it ping other local devices?  Check the router for any firewall rules that may be blocking Internet access by the Synology.  You may also want to check the Synology for the presence of any firewall rules.

Make sure the extender is in extender mode, not Access Point mode.

Message 5 of 7
havezet
Aspirant

The Synology works fine when connected to the router. It also works fine when connected with a wall-outlet network set. Only not when connected to the EX7300. I can only ping the EX7300, nothing else.

I've given up. I bought a USB Wifi connector to connect the Synology with the network. The extender is going back to the shop.
Message 6 of 7
havezet
Aspirant

Thank you for trying to help. Very much appreciated
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements