× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 Bricked -- Flashing white lights, flashing red power

chrishunt10
Follower

EX8000 Bricked -- Flashing white lights, flashing red power

I followed these instructions to unbrick my device.

On power on my devices rear power light went solid green, then after a few seconds ALL the white lights would flash white. After another 7 seconds or so the power light would flash Green.
I tried defaulting to factory settings by holding the button for 7 seconds but didn't appear to do anything unless the button was pressed shortly after power up then it would go light Red and after about 7 seconds flash Red 6 times then go to a Green light.

I connected the device to my laptop using an Ethernet cable and disabled the WiFi on my laptop. Set my IP address to 192.168.1.150
Then I used an IP scanner to find the device which was oddly 192.168.1.1.
So I used the following instructions to upload the latest firmware to the unresponsive device.
nmrpflash

https://github.com/jclehner/nmrpflash

Download all the required software and
Run a command prompt as administrator and then type the following to locate your Ethernet number ( in my case 'eth10')
"Nmrpflash -L"

Then powered on the EX8000 and waited for all the the lights to flash and the Ethernet ports on the EX8000 to become active.
Then typed

"nmrpflash -i eth10 -a 192.168.1.1 -A 192.168.1.150 -m xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -B -f EX8000.img"
-a : is for the EX8000 IP address
-A : is for the IP address of the ethernet adapter
-m : is for the MAC address of the EX8000( located on the label on the bottom or the box) must be in the format "-m xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"
-B : for Blind mode so it doesn't wait for a response, mine failed everytime without this.

Once you press enter on the command line it goes through pretty quickly

With a line similar to
"Advertising NMRP server on eth10
.../
No response after 10 seconds going blind"
The power light stopped flashing green and the cursor rotated really quickly whilst uploading the file. Which It didn't do during unsuccessful attempts.
After about 3 mins the screen said it had sent the file successfully. And the router appeared to do nothing. I set my Computer's IP address up as automatic and after about 3 minutes the Config screen for the router popped up with the Correct Default IP address of 192.168.1.250.

I've not had any issues since.
Good luck guys
Model: A6210|AC1200 High Gain WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: EX8000 Bricked -- Flashing white lights, flashing red power

The power light stopped flashing green and the cursor rotated really quickly whilst uploading the file. Which It didn't do during unsuccessful attempts.
After about 3 mins the screen said it had sent the file successfully. And the router appeared to do nothing. I set my Computer's IP address up as automatic and after about 3 minutes the Config screen for the router popped up with the Correct Default IP address of 192.168.1.250.

I've not had any issues since.
Good luck guys

If its popping up with the default of 192.168.1.250, thats the default setup IP address. have you tried navigating to the address to set up the extender? 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7