× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

EX8000 Speed Drop to 3MBS

Photodocfl
Tutor

EX8000 Speed Drop to 3MBS

My EX8000 has been working well for 2 years, but sudddenly the WiFi speed has dropped from 200+mbs to 2mbs.

This has occurred on all WiFi bands.  I have done several reboots as well as a hard reset. 

The unit is connected to the Router by Ethernet cable with an input of 900mbs.  The wired output connections from this unit all have high speed.  It is just the WiFi speed has suddenly dropped to 2 mbs.

The lights are all working correctly and a login to the Extender on the local network shows no errors, but reports the WiFi speeed as 54mbs - still a fraction of the past.

Thanks in advance

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: EX8000 Speed Drop to 3MBS

Yes you can download older versons of the firmware and install it manually. I'd recommend doing it over a hardwired connect. The .224 version is the one I'd recommend. I haven't seen much issues on it. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX8000.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
DEA_User
Aspirant

I have the Netgear Nighthawk R6900 router. I did a firmware update to 2.26.10.0.45. Ever since then, my WiFi speeds dropped to a fraction of what they should be and I was getting intermittent connections. I tested the LAN speeds and they were fine so it was isolated to just the WiFi.
I just downgraded the firmware to the previous version 2.16.10.0.42. My speeds are back to what they used to be.

You're using a different model but my guess is Netgear introduced a bug into their latest release. Shame on them! I was considering buying a new router. I'm glad I tried this fix before throwing away over $200 on a new one. In the future, I will not be buying Netgear products since they have a habit of releasing crappy software.
Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

What firmware version are you on? 

Message 3 of 8
Photodocfl
Tutor

Re: EX8000 Speed Drop to 2MBS

Firmware is V1.0.1.232

Message 4 of 8
DEA_User
Aspirant

I'm on 2.26.10.0.42 now for my model which is the previous release before the current. I believe the current version has bugs
Message 5 of 8
Photodocfl
Tutor

Is there a way to re-install the previous FW version?

Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Yes you can download older versons of the firmware and install it manually. I'd recommend doing it over a hardwired connect. The .224 version is the one I'd recommend. I haven't seen much issues on it. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX8000.aspx

Message 7 of 8
Photodocfl
Tutor

I downgraded the firmware from V1.0.1.232 to  ....242 - Problem Solved!  WiFi speeds back to 500+mbps.

Looks like V...242 has a bug.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7