× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: EX8000 unreliable after latest firmware

GBarG
Aspirant

EX8000 unreliable after latest firmware

Since applying the latest firmware my connected my security cameras periodically lose connection. They reconnect after 5 minutes or so. I turned all of them off, after trying everything to fix them. Fortunately my new router seems to obviate my need to use them. So cameras get a weak signal, but work ok in spite of that.
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Did you try the factory update? 

Or the firmware downgrade? 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
nielsvds
Luminary

You should take a look at the link states led colour when the disconnection happens. In the latest firmware update a security vulnerability was fixed: https://kb.netgear.com/000064481/Security-Advisory-for-Stored-Cross-Site-Scripting-on-Some-Router-Ex...

Here you can read more: https://www.netgear.com/about/security/
Downgrading is also possible: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/EX8000.aspx (previous versions)

Message 2 of 10
GBarG
Aspirant

I don't notice the disconnection until after it's over, but I never see a problem with LED indications. I'm not going to try anything more to fix this because I seem to be ok without them. They were solidly working for a long time before the firmware update -- I just wanted to report the problem in case others noticed it also.
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

Anytime I see an issue after a firmware update, I usually recommend a factory reset and reinstall. 

Sometimes old settings can cause issues. 

If that doesn't help, you can always downgrade the firmware. Always something to be said for stability. 

Message 4 of 10
nielsvds
Luminary

The LED colour is important because that gives information about the signal strength. When the extender have a very poor connection to your router, you will get disconnects. That is why I mentioned it. But if it just happened after a firmware upgrade and you didn't move it, than the chances are high that is related to that upgrade.  

Message 5 of 10
GBarG
Aspirant

I'm aware of that.
Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

Did you try the factory update? 

Or the firmware downgrade? 

Message 7 of 10
GBarG
Aspirant

Tried reset, not downgrade. I'm not looking to fix this problem, since I'm doing fine without the extenders. My newer router is doing the job fine without extenders.
Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

Reads for me like two changes had applied on the network - a new (unspecified) router, and the EX8000 firmware update. Where the later one mainly includes some security fixes to avoid a possible command injection on it's management environment. 

Message 9 of 10
GBarG
Aspirant

I got the new router long before the extender firmware updates and all was fine for months. So the only one thing changed really
Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7