× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender always gets 'limited' connection icon

Arteis
Novice

Extender always gets 'limited' connection icon

Windows 8.1 on Toshiba laptop. ISP is Vodafone (New Zealand). DSL service.

When connecting to Extender, I always get the yellow 'limited' icon in 'connection settings' in Windows, and can't access internet despite showing four to five bars in the connection symbol.

The green symbols on the front of the extender are both lit with steady lights, and no flashing arrows.

This occurs even if I put router, extender and laptop right next to each other.

My normal internet connection direct from the router works fine, but the extender's connection is always 'limited' and won't work.

By the way, I tried submitting this query on Netgear's online contact form, but the Submit button wouldn't work.

Message 1 of 9
bandwidth6
Novice

Re: Extender always gets 'limited' connection icon

Reset your extender
Message 2 of 9
Arteis
Novice

I've reset it several times.

In fact, I went to the shop yesterday and got it exchanged for another extender. But I still have the same problem with the new one, so it is something outside the machine. Maybe a router setting or something???

I even got onto the NetGear chat support, but the helpful person there couldn't solve the problem.
Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Which mode are you using?
Message 4 of 9
Arteis
Novice

Do you mean the switch on the side? It is set to Extender.
Message 5 of 9
gnostech
Novice

I just purchased the ex6100 today and have encountered the same issue. I ran through all of the usual steps resetting the router and extender but nothing worked. I went as far as a factory reset and followed the online instructions and I am left with the same situation. Fortunately I was able to submit a support ticket so I am curious as to what they will tell me.
Message 6 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 7 of 9
josgood
Aspirant

I am having the same issues. I have a Toshiba laptop running Windows 8.1 and my ISP is Verizon FIOS.

Any help out there?
Message 8 of 9
Fairytail
Virtuoso

How far is the extender from the main router? Try installing it closer to the router.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7