× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extender with separate SSID name

Extender with separate SSID name

I have what is probably a dumb question, but...I have a WN2000RPTv2 extender that I purchased refurbished. It's been working fine for a while, but I think it's in its death throes.

I would like to purchase another Netgear extender, and the one feature that I like on this model is that it has a separate name/address/whatever the term is. In other words, my Netgear router has an SSID, and when I hooked up this extender, it has the same SSID with an .ext after it. By having this, I can know which unit I'm hooked up to when I wander the house with my tablet or Blackberry. Previous, I had a Cisco extender, and it didn't have this feature. The only way I could see which it was connecting to was by the strength of the signal and the distance from the unit.

I've looked through Netgear extenders at online retailers, and I guess that I don't know what I'm looking for in the terminology under specifications. Is there a specific term that's used to denote this feature in an extender---so that I know before I purchase it that it's what I want?

I'd appreciate some help. Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
netwrks
Master

Re: Extender with separate SSID name

If you can go the Access Point route, that would be a much better set up. The R7000 does it. And, there's the EX7000 Netgear put out, does it also, I believe. The R6300 also supports AP mode..
Message 2 of 6
RalphG
Initiate

I have a Netgear EX6100, which is their AC750 WiFi Range Extender and it has the extender SSID naming protocol that you are wanting. I don't know that this feature has a name but my guess is that it may be a Netgear standard for all their range extenders.
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look at my favorite online retailers and check out the models that you've both provided. I'm sure I can find what I want. My extender has definitely died now, I'm connected to the Netgear router with a decent signal, but I need a boost. Thanks again!
Message 4 of 6
lurzan
Novice

All the Netgear Extender does have that feature. These are the models of the several Netgear extender with different specifications: WNR2000RPT, WNR2000RPTv3. WN3000RP, EX6700, EX6200, EX6100 etc http://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for all the info. I think I've got all the information I need to make an informed choice...which I will do soon. Cheers
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7