× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Extenders Using over 500MB of data daily when idle??!

taskjjwilson
Follower

Extenders Using over 500MB of data daily when idle??!

My AT&T hotspot i.e., wireless connection plan has a max monthly data usage of 30GB per month. My issue is that I am using about 700MB daily even on days when I am not at the home and the internet is idle. I think the daily usage relates to the extenders pinging the hotspot (wireless network router). I am trying to confirm if you believe this is possible that the extenders would use that much data just to maintain a connection, and if there is any ways to limit the usage other than simply turning off the extenders. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. I'm trying to avoid shutting do each connected device as there is about 10 devices (printers, smart tv, tablets, etc.) that connect to the extenders and there is a day lag on AT&T for when the data is being consumed and then reported ...
Message 1 of 3
WizardJ
Luminary

Re: Extenders Using over 500MB of data daily when idle??!

Doesn't sound reasonable for an extender to create any traffic nearing even a megabyte just because of it being connected and running. No, I would think this is traffic from one of the devices connected to the extender. Is it steadily 500 MB of data every single day that's being used or does it differ?
Message 2 of 3
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Extenders Using over 500MB of data daily when idle??!

I bet there is more than extender is causing the issues.

Most tablets and printer now days will have background app that runs so you best best bet is turn off the devices and test it out
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7