× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Broadcast 3 Bands on RX8000?

rcbjr2
Aspirant

How to Broadcast 3 Bands on RX8000?

I have an R7900 tri-band router which broadcasts 2.4G, 5G1, and 5G2. I also have an EX7000 extender, which I believe is only dual band. I set it up to use 2.4G and 5G1 from the R7900 using the same names (so it's mesh rather than a true extender at this point). I also just bought an RX8000. I need to broadcast the 2.4G and 5G bands separately because of some 2.4G devices. I thought that with the RX8000 I would be able to extend/mesh my 2.4G, my 5G1, and my 5G2 SSIDs. However, when I set up the RX8000, it only let me pick one of the 5G radios (I used 5G2 this time since I used 5G1 on the EX7000). There are three bands on the EX8000. Am I not getting the benefit of the two 5G radios on the EX8000 if I'm only extending the 5G2 SSID from the R7900? Is there not a way to have three SSIDs on the RX8000? Thanks!

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: How to Broadcast 3 Bands on RX8000?

So R7900 is tri band so 3 radios. 

EX8000-triband so 3 radios. 

EX7000-Dual band

R7900 has smart connect which combines the 3 radios into a single ssid.

EX8000 has mesh which allows you to utilize the same ssid as main router.

if you use just the R7900 and the EX8000, potentially you could have a single ssid for both devices. If you add the EX7000 in there, then you'll want to seperate out the ssids.

Not 100% but potentially it could look like this with some playing. It all depends on if the extenders can differentiate between 5g1 and 5g2. 

R7900---smart connect on (3 ssids looking like 1)

EX7000---if you can choose which 5g to connect to. Connect to 5g1. use the one wifi name function but have a different ssid if possible from router. not 100% sure if possible as I don't have this device. What I mean is it'd combine the 2x bands into a single ssid but that ssid would be different from router. 

EX8000---Connect to 5g2. use one wifi name function but different from router and ex7000. 

So in this setup, potential you'd have 7 radios active but only be able to see 3 as each device would handle its own load balancing. 

I'm not sure if this would work as I don't have all the devices you have. 

Again, I'd start with simplicity as networks tend to run better in that instance. Try going just the R7900 and EX8000 as they're both plenty capable and would allow a single ssid to be used. 

If that doesn't provide the needed coverate, then try the 2nd setup I wrote up. It'd take a little more playing to setup but would leave you with 3 ssid's if it works. 

If that doesn't work then you're all the way back to using individual ssids for each band/radio. You'd have unique ssids for them all. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The whole benefit to the EX8000 is the fact that it uses one of the 5g bands specifically for the connection back to the router. It increased extender speed and lowers latency. The biggest downfall to extenders is that you take a 50% (roughly) drop in speed in a increase in latency. its why i usually don't recommend more than a single extender. After that, its usually best to move to a true mesh setup and not hybrid that the ex7000-ex8000 use. 

You can use all 3 bands but it needs to be in AP mode to do so. this would require hardwiring it in. 

I would express caution using multiple extenders if they are within range of each other and you're using the same ssids. Reason I say this is that the you could end up daisy chaining or even getting a loop. IE.  R7900---->EX7000--->ex8000     or just the extenders connecting to each other EX7000<---->ex8000

this can happen when using multiple extenders and the same names that they're connection to. 

If you have the R7900 with seperate ssid for each band and then the extenders only connecting to say 5G1 and then 5G2, you should be fine. just something to keep in mind. 

Message 2 of 8
rcbjr2
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I went this route because I was concerned about going to a true mesh setup because I have several 2.4G devices, including a Google Chromecast. I have heard that there are problems connecting the Chromecast when using a mesh network. I broadcast exercise videos from my phone to the Chromecast. If I don't broadcast the 2.4G and 5G SSIDs, I wouldn't be able to ensure that my phone and my Chromecast are on the same network.

If I understand you correctly, maybe I should just use the EX7000 to broadcast 2.4G and let the EX8000 handle the 5G? Or maybe I should just get rid of the EX7000? And, it doens't sound like it would be a good idea to get another EX8000 instead of a true mesh network?

Also, when I set this up, I first set up the EX7000. I then unplugged it and set up the EX8000. However, I noticed on my Nighthawk app on my phone that it doens't show the EX7000 at all in the network map, so I'm not even sure it's working.  

The other problem I caused myself is that all my thermostats and cameras disconnected because I changed the SSID names for all three of the SSIDs on the main router. The EX7000 was showing them with EXT in the name, but I switched it to just show the same SSIDs as are on the main router.

How can I ensure that I'm not creating a loop between the EX7000 and the EX8000? Or is the best bet to just throw in the towel and get a true mesh network and not worry about the Chromecast (and maybe the latest ones have 5G anyway). 

Thanks.

Message 3 of 8
plemans
Guru

Very loaded statement in all that you wrote.

1. I've got the orbi system. I've used chromecasts on it without issues. Sometimes you need to play around a little during setup but I've gotten them all working fine. I've also got >20 Iot devices and they're all working so far. There's always going to be some issues but you can using fix them with a little playing. 

2. You can run multiple extenders. its just takes a bit of work and patience. As well as a lot of ssid's 😞 

Your best bet is to start over. Start with getting your router centrally located if possible. Then you have the best device in the middle and potentially can go   Extender<------router----->extender

And again, make sure the extenders use a different ssid than the router. If you're going to run a single extender, its fine to use the mesh/one ssid setup but once you add a 2nd extender, it complicates things and its best to seperate out the ssids. 

How big is your home and what materials is it made of? Do you really need 2 extenders or just some optimizing of your setup? In my experience, the more complexity you add, the less reliable a network. 

Message 4 of 8
rcbjr2
Aspirant

House is about 4200 SF. Router is somewhat left of middle. It was in a closet (with all the wires through the attic), but then I moved it into the main entryway (it's on tope of the grandfather clock after I drilled a large hole in the wall for all the wires). I actually had a Belkin extender I was using until I bought the EX8000 yesterday. I was using different SSIDs on all three devices (so we had a lot of SSIDs). I have two floors. The EX8000 is at the top of the stairs, just up from the main router. I was using the EX7000 in the kitchen, which is in line of sight of the main router. I wanted to get rid of the Belkin one because it would constantly lose signal. It's old so it's probably only 2.4G, anyway. I believe I was using it to connect my SimpliSafe cameras. 

Anyway, so with two extenders, you don't recommend using the same SSIDs? On my phone, I have a WiFi analyzer. I can see three 2.4G networks. I can see two 5G1's and two 5G2's. Presumably, it is picking up each extender's radio in addition to the main router. I was hoping to avoid all the extra names. I suppose I could name them 2.4G1, 2.4G2, and 2.4G3 and then use the best signal wherever I happen to be in the house. Same would go for the 5G1, maybe 5G1A, 5G1B, and then 5G2A and 5G2A (since the EX8000 and EX7000 only extend one 5G network).

Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
plemans
Guru

The EX8000 is pretty capable and so is the R7900. its the rough equivelent of an RBK50 setup which covers 5,000 sq ft max. I'd try just using the 2 of them with your house size to see how it works. 

Use mesh setup for the ex8000 and the single ssid feature for the R7900. This would let you have a single ssid. You might have a couple devices that are a little finicky at first but give it a couple days as the 2 devices learn the bandwidth demands/etc. 

If you can properly place them     so exterior wall------router------extender-----exterior wall    you might be fine.

If not spaced properly it might not cover but its worth a shot to be able to only have to run a single ssid. 

Message 6 of 8
rcbjr2
Aspirant

OK, so the R7900 will just have one made up SSID and it'll broadcast 2.4 and 5 as one signal. For the RX8000, when you say Mesh, do you mean use the same SSIDs as the 2.4G and 5G SSIDs on the original router? So I'd have 2.4G and 5G2, let's say, on the RX8000?

I was just re-setting the R7900 to use different SSIDs from the original router. That would give me 7 SSIDs in the house, 3 for the original router, 2 for the 7900, and 2 for the 8000. Unless I take your approach and do 3 for original router, one combined for 7900, and 2 for the 8000?

Sorry for all the quesitons, but I do appreciate the help. Thanks!

Message 7 of 8
plemans
Guru

So R7900 is tri band so 3 radios. 

EX8000-triband so 3 radios. 

EX7000-Dual band

R7900 has smart connect which combines the 3 radios into a single ssid.

EX8000 has mesh which allows you to utilize the same ssid as main router.

if you use just the R7900 and the EX8000, potentially you could have a single ssid for both devices. If you add the EX7000 in there, then you'll want to seperate out the ssids.

Not 100% but potentially it could look like this with some playing. It all depends on if the extenders can differentiate between 5g1 and 5g2. 

R7900---smart connect on (3 ssids looking like 1)

EX7000---if you can choose which 5g to connect to. Connect to 5g1. use the one wifi name function but have a different ssid if possible from router. not 100% sure if possible as I don't have this device. What I mean is it'd combine the 2x bands into a single ssid but that ssid would be different from router. 

EX8000---Connect to 5g2. use one wifi name function but different from router and ex7000. 

So in this setup, potential you'd have 7 radios active but only be able to see 3 as each device would handle its own load balancing. 

I'm not sure if this would work as I don't have all the devices you have. 

Again, I'd start with simplicity as networks tend to run better in that instance. Try going just the R7900 and EX8000 as they're both plenty capable and would allow a single ssid to be used. 

If that doesn't provide the needed coverate, then try the 2nd setup I wrote up. It'd take a little more playing to setup but would leave you with 3 ssid's if it works. 

If that doesn't work then you're all the way back to using individual ssids for each band/radio. You'd have unique ssids for them all. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series