× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Information for consumers looking at purchasing Range Extenders - All Models

NeoBeum
Aspirant

Information for consumers looking at purchasing Range Extenders - All Models

I purchased a EX3700 to help the C6300BD Gateway. Having not had a need for one before, I didn't really know what it actually did, other than what was said on the site. Before I start my rant, I want to begin with saying that I've always thought NetGear made solid products, and they do - this is mostly targeted at Marketing and it has swayed my thoughts on NetGear as a company.

Let us begin.

The Range Extender

"Boosts the range of your existing WiFi" - WiFi Booster Example Picture on NetGear Website

It does so by by rebroadcasting a new SSID, rather than broadcasting the existing WiFi SSID.

http://netgear.com.au/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX7300.aspx#tab-techspecs

"¹Works with devices supporting Wi-Fi Protected Setup™ (WPS). Data throughput, signal range, and wireless coverage per sq. ft. are not guaranteed and may vary due to differences in operating environments of wireless networks, including without limitation building materials and wireless interference. Specifications are subject to change without notice. The product may not be compatible with routers or gateways with firmware that has been altered, is based on open source programs, or is non-standard or outdated."

No where does it actually say anywhere on any of your product pages, nor even mention anything about a new SSID transmission. CTRL+F "SSID" on the Find on Page, will give you 0 results. I only checked the EX3700 and 3 other Range Extender product pages, and not the complete NetGear range, but I'm willing to bet that they are all the same.

While this is only a small problem, people looking at a streamlined solution - will be very disappointed. Managing individual devices with MAC filtering will become cumbersome as the Android App/iOS App will not let you manage devices for the extender, but must require everything be done on the main Router broadcasting the original SSID and Network.

I'll be forwarding a letter to the ACCC in Australia, as I'm tired of accepting really poor marketing practices. I don't complain often - but this is up there Microsoft and Windows 10, and Optus with some Mobile Plans, along with Telstra and Accounts issues - and all of those corporations reimbursed me for the errors.

The General consumer market needs to be provided with better information and not be given a play on words like "Waterproof Phones" - which I also complained about on the Sony site when the Z5 series were launched, and now there is no Waterproof wording on any of the newer generations, but was changed to "Water resistant".

I'm lucky to have IT experience so I am able to resolve troubleshooting, but the general everyday user will have problems with connectivity.

End rant.

Message 1 of 5
NeoBeum
Aspirant

Re: Information for consumers looking at purchasing Range Extenders - All Models

Just wanted to add:

Had a quick look on the box it came in and nowhere is the word "SSID", front, back, sides, and disclaimer on the bottom. Nowhere at all.

Message 2 of 5
NeoBeum
Aspirant

Re: Information for consumers looking at purchasing Range Extenders - All Models

I thought I'd do a sneaky and try and broadcast the same SSID... so this picture was just icing on the cake and reiterates what I mentioned above

NetGear Genie App - http://imgur.com/I4sGp0U

Message 3 of 5
netwrks
Master

That's why you read the manual. Every NG extender, router, whatever, has a manual on the NG site. If you want bettter wireless experience, run your extender in AP mode. Page 15, in the manual. 

Message 4 of 5
FrustratedEX610
Aspirant

Most folks need a wireless extender solution. Your advise is incredibly obtuse.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7