× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Is the WN2000RPTv2 a repeater

MGB19
Aspirant

Is the WN2000RPTv2 a repeater

Hello
I have a WN2000RPTv2 and have linked it to my wifi network. A PC connected via a cable can use the extender to connect to the internet, however non of the other devices on the LAN are accessible.

From what I have read on this forum, there is a difference between an extender and a repeater in that the extender sets up its own network whereas a repeater passes everything back to the wifi access point.

In one post from a few years ago, there is talk of the possibility of a firmware upgrade making the WN2000RTP act as a repeater, has this happened?

In short, have I bought the wrong device if I want a computer connected to the -EXT network to be able to access the Internet AND access other computers connected directly to the Wifi access point. The RPT in the product code does tend to suggest that it is a repeater

Thanks

Mike
Message 1 of 10
Lawrosa
Aspirant

I have the same issue.. was on support with netgear and they were no help... Seems the ext I bought shows two SSID. If I bought another router the you have one ssid and security features are easier to set up as you use the main router. WPA and mac filtering is a nightmare with the extender IMO...
Message 2 of 10
MGB19
Aspirant

Yes - it looks like Netgear was not the way to go - thanks
Message 3 of 10
cheechoop
Aspirant

are you looking to let the devices connected to the wn2000rpt speak to the devices connected to other access points?
Message 4 of 10
MGB19
Aspirant

Yes, I have a PC wired to the Wifi router directly, another linked to the router via wifi and a 3rd connected via the wv2000rpt, I need to be able to get each PC to access both of the other 2.
Message 5 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Image failed. Post the URL instead so user can see what you are sharing. 🙂

Connecting extender to extender are usually going fail to work. User has tried and does not work. Also you are dropping the performance 25% every hope.
Message 6 of 10
MGB19
Aspirant

I'n not connecting an extender to an extender, the wn2000rpt is linked through wifi directly to the Belkin N1 wireless router.

The arrangement can be see in this image

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0ZzgIzwdtcg/U8eCjYh9pHI/AAAAAAAAAL4/erBNV28_Fos/s960/WifiExtender...

I am trying to get PC C to be able to access PC A and PC B and vice versa

Cheers

Mike
Message 7 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I am trying to get PC C to be able to access PC A and PC B and vice versa

That should work but also seems device behind the extender always reported to have an issues other than internet traffic.

🙂
Message 8 of 10
MGB19
Aspirant

The PC on the extender can only see the internet. Interestingly, the Belkin does not show the wn2000rpt or PC C in its list of dhcp clients. The Network Map on both PC A and PC B does not show the wn2000rpt or PC C
Message 9 of 10
Neil_T1
Novice

I've been having fun with my own one of these over the last two days. I only want mine as a wired AP but it might help with what you are doing.

First is that if you use the Netgear DHCP, your dns, presented to the client, doesn't always reflect the PC's registered in your other router. However you should be able to either ping them or tracert them via IP. (Your PC C will not show in the list on the other PC's because it is not registered on your wireless router. Sadly this is how DNS repeating and multiple DHCP hosting works.)

Unless

As I have seen. Your firewall is blocking them. I have Norton 360, it's set to blackhole anything which is not authorised. So I could ping from my workstation connected to the wifi, to a pc connected on the wired network, but not the other way around even though I knew the IP address and that both machines were in the same IP class C network.

If you can see the internet, then you are being connected to the wifi router. Therefore you have an IP address and your requests are being forwarded.

So I would try the following, which Is what I had to do to turn my system into an access point.

First remove the DHCP allocation of IP address to the WN2000RPTv2

Setup->IP Address->Use Static IP Address

Allocate an address outside your wifi routers DHCP range. Ensure you use the router as the default gateway and the DNS.

Apply this and ensure it's applied by accessing your extender on the new address.

Second, disable DHCP on your extender.

Setup->IP Address->Disable internal DHCP Server

Third, release and refresh the IP address on machine C

ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew

Check that your new ip address is in the range of the wifi router DHCP and that the DNS server is set to the wifi router.

Check you can still access the internet.

You should now be able to see the other machines on the network because the extender is not your primary gateway, the wifi router is.

If you can't ping the other machines tracert them, then try turning the firewalls off on both machines and try again. I had to set the wifi network to shared in the Norton 360 network security map before I could get two way communication.

So long as your wifi router is not firewalling the wifi and wired networks, then you should be OK. Although if that were the case, you would not be able to communicate between PC's A and B.

Primarily I believe this is a network routing issue. It was how I solved my own. The extender is designed to extend the wireless internet for people in the home, in the easiest way possible. It is not designed to fully bridge two networks with a wifi connection. Although it is possible to do that, but you need to remove the extender as your default gateway as it's gateway routing configuration is designed to extend the internet, not the network at large.

Hope this helps.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7