× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

JWNR2010v5 repeater with zyxel8702

SorenBB
Aspirant

JWNR2010v5 repeater with zyxel8702

My primary router is a Zyxel 8702. I want to extend the wifi range using an older netgear JWNR2010v5. 

To enable this is the netgear router settings, I need to change wifi channel from auto to a specific id. I can choose 13 different channels. I cant find the channel id on the zyxel router, and i might have read somewhere that i dont need this as the zyxel is a multirouter or something like that. 

Anyway, I have tried a couple of channels but it doesnt seem to work. I could go through all 13 channels to see if I get one to work, but thought I would seek help here as there might be a good explanation or other help how to get this to work. 

I am using latest firmware 1.1.0.54 on my netgear router.

I hope someone can help me. 

Thx a mill, Soren

Model: JWNR2010v3|N300 Wireless Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: JWNR2010v5 repeater with zyxel8702

I wouldn't do it. Reason why is to use the jwnr2010 as a repeater you have to disable security or run it in wep. Which isn't secure. It also needs the speed set at 54 mbps. Which is much much less than the zyxel 8702. You'd be slowing your primary device and making it much less secure to have a little extra extra distance. 

You'd be much better off to buy a single/dual band extender designed for that purpose 

Message 2 of 3
SorenBB
Aspirant

Re: JWNR2010v5 repeater with zyxel8702

Thx a lot. Will buy a new extender more suited.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series