× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Mesh Extender

Mundo617
Follower

Mesh Extender

Any help appreciated,
I have non mesh wi-fi set up at home with coaxial internet coming into a modem and a couple of extenders. Needed a third and after unsuccessfully trying to connect it realize i bought a mesh extender. Am i right to think it will not work with my setup?
Model: EX6100|AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Mesh Extender

It should work fine. You can disable the mesh aspect of it if you want. 

Something I would caution though is the speed hit you'll be taking if you're daisy chaining them. 

standard extenders by their very nature cut thoughput (speed) in half. the reason they do this is that they have to send and recieve with the same chips and can't do both at once. this compounds when you add extenders to extenders. So if your 1st extender (at very best) is running 50% of the router speed, the very best the 2nd extender in the chain can expect is 25%. And again, those are if they're getting full speeds anyway. Which they rarely are. Add a 3rd extender and you're at 12.5%. 

I'd recommend setting them up in a star configuation:

Star:  Extender(50%)<--------router--------->extender (50%)

|

Extender(50%)

Daisy chain: Router------->extender (50%)--------->extender (25%)-------->extender (12.5%)

I also usually recommend people move to a full mesh system like orbi if they're needing more than 1 extender. They tend to have more stability, better speeds, and just work better. 

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Mesh Extender

When you set it up, did you use wps or the installation assistant? I'd highly recommend the assistant.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7