× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N300/EX2700 drops frequently as extender

leojhartiv
Guide

N300/EX2700 drops frequently as extender

I am using the ex2700 as an extender for my apple AirPort Extreme router. The router is located on my main floor and covers most of the house, but there's a long hallway to the master bedroom on the 2nd floor where the signal is almost completely lost.

I've placed the extender towards the beginning of this long hallway where the signal is still pretty strong and reports 20mbps from the router's wifi.

Once the extender is enabled, I am able to access a 4 bar wifi signal from the master bedroom, but I find that often when I connect to the extender's wifi the download performance is non-existent. Sometimes it works great, 15-20 Mbps, other times my iPad or iPhone connects, but browsers just hang a they download a page. An extender reset usually does the trick, but that doesn't seem like an acceptable solution: I need to do it multiple times a day.

Any ideas on what's going on here? What information could I provide to troubleshoot?

Thanks!
Leo

Message 1 of 12
leojhartiv
Guide

No one else has had a similar problem?
Message 2 of 12
tondris
Novice

I'm having this same problem. I downloaded the latest firmware for the extender but it still drops several times a day. For me, the signal sometimes comes back on its own, or it can be brought back by going into network diagnostics at which point my computer re-establishes the connection. Very odd though, and pretty frequent.
Message 3 of 12
leojhartiv
Guide

Yeah it has come to the point where I prefer using the source router, even though the signal is weaker. This device seems unreliable and probably needs a return.
Message 4 of 12
Shill
Tutor

Agreed, this device is clunky and it seems far from being the finished product. You have to worry about a company who lets its fórums try and resolve software issues instead of spending development time and money.
Message 5 of 12
doveman71
Initiate

I'm having the same problem.

I got it all setup but several times in the next few hours, I was completely unable to access the internet when connected to it. Connecting to the router upstairs, even with the weaker signal and browsing worked fine and it seemed like disconnecting and reconnecting to the EX2700 got it working again but that's obviously not something we should have to be constantly doing.

The main router upstairs is a Virgin Superhub1 and that lets me select between 54Mbps, 150Mbps and 300Mbps and separately 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz. I left it on 2.4Ghz as that's all the EX supports and set it to 300Mbps, which then shows the Channel selection as a pair, so I set it to 4+8 as they were clear of any neighbouring signals and then tried setting the EX to 300Mbps but it says please wait and when I check the settings again it's gone back to 150Mbps, so I ended up just putting the Superhub back on 150Mbps and just Ch.4. Reading around it seems the SH1's 300Mbps mode is considered unstable and it's recommended to just use 150Mbps anyway but that doesn't explain why the EX won't save it's own setting.

The EX shows the link speed as 144Mbps when connected to the SH1, same as when I tested it on my Sky router.
Message 6 of 12
drew2276
Novice

I am having the same problem. I am staying in a hotel for 6 weeks and my signal was weak so I bought this extender. And while the signal strength was greatly improved. My internet is constantly dropping. I can troubleshoot the problem with windows troubleshooter but it only solves the problem for a couple minutes. I have green lights across the board on the extender. Would love some help with this.
Message 7 of 12
Kaiclubbe
Initiate

Same issue. Green lights, but drops constantly. 

Message 8 of 12
nhann
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Kaiclubbe,

Can you please describe your network setup?

Which router are you using with the EX2700?
Are both the EX2700 and router updated to latest firmware?

http://support.netgear.com/product/EX2700

Message 9 of 12
dutch135
Initiate

I have a WN3000RP with firmware v.1.02.64_1.1.86.  It continually drops the signal, despite showing that the source router is within sufficient range.  It's the same problem many others report having.  It comes back on if I reset it.  But that's an unacceptale solution.

Message 10 of 12
Blueknight155
Aspirant

Same problem....sending this back
Message 11 of 12
BigBrilig
Aspirant

My EX2700 was always dropping the connection to the internet (main router) and I had to turn the wifi off and on on my Ipad to connect again again.

I simply updated the firmware on the EX2700 and the connection is now very stable!

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7