× Our systems will undergo a planned maintenance on Sunday, May 19, 2024, between 12:00 AM and 02:00 AM Pacific Time. During the maintenance window, you will not be able to log in to your MyNETGEAR account (including apps), renew a subscription, or register a product. However, you will still be able to use guest checkout to purchase a new product or subscription service. Updates will be posted to Status.NETGEAR.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: N300 works - but connections directly to router keep dropping

jhkim01
Aspirant

N300 works - but connections directly to router keep dropping

Hi all,

I have the N300 working.  Devices connected to it seem to work fine.  However, devices connected by wifi to my primary router (which is a Verizon Fios router) keeps dropping their connections.  Does the N300 interefere with connections to the primary router?  Any solutions other than just getting rid of the N300?  I have confirmed this problem by unplugging the N300, and the router works fine.

Thanks,

Jim

Model: EX2700|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@jhkim01 wrote:

Does the N300 interefere with connections to the primary router? 

No.  The clients choose the network they want to connect to.

Is the EX2700 using the same network name as the router WiFi network?

Message 2 of 9
jhkim01
Aspirant

No. It is named with myroutername_ext
Message 3 of 9
StephenB
Guru

If there's one device that has this problem a lot, you could try "forgetting" the extender network on that device, and see if it becomes more stable.

When a device does connect to the extender, does it work reliably?

Message 4 of 9
jhkim01
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion.  To clarify, devices connected to the extender seem to work ok.  Maybe a little slower, but that's not unexpected.

I have two devices (a laptop and an Xbox) that have never connected to the extender, but ever since the extender has been live - those two devices drop their connections to the Fios router.  Once I unplugged the extender, those two devices have been working normally.

Message 5 of 9
StephenB
Guru

@jhkim01 wrote:

I have two devices (a laptop and an Xbox) that have never connected to the extender, but ever since the extender has been live - those two devices drop their connections to the Fios router. 

Well, if they've never been connected to the extender network, they obviously aren't trying to roam to it either.

How many devices (extender + router) do you have connected?

How close are the laptop and xbox to the extender?  

Are you using any static IP addresses (configured in the device, not reserved in the router)?

Message 6 of 9
jhkim01
Aspirant

Thanks for the questions.

I have a total of 6 devices connected.  I had 4 connected to the extender, and 2 devices connected by wifi to the router.

The laptop and Xbox are probably within 20 feet of the router.

No - not using any statis IP addresses.

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

The next time it happens, can you try rebooting the laptop or the Xbox instead of turning off the extender?  Let us know if that also restores connectivity.

@jhkim01 wrote:

I have a total of 6 devices connected.  I had 4 connected to the extender, and 2 devices connected by wifi to the router.

Ok.  That's a pretty small number, so there is no chance that the router isn't able to handle that many connections.

@jhkim01 wrote:

The laptop and Xbox are probably within 20 feet of the router.

I was wondering if they are very close to the extender. One possible cause is that the extender's wifi is creating interference.  That's very rare (even if the client is very close - a couple of feet), but it can happen.

@jhkim01 wrote:

No - not using any statis IP addresses.

Ok.  I was thinking that maybe it's not a wifi problem, but instead that you are ending up with duplicate IP addresses somehow.  That will also break connectivity.  Static addresses are the usual cause of this (though not the only one).

Message 8 of 9
jhkim01
Aspirant

Ok - so when I lost connectivity (I should note that this is a temporary loss of connectivity) on the laptop (that is directly connected by wifi to the router and not the extender), I rebooted.  It had no effect.

It's not a permanent loss of connectivity.  It's a temporary loss that is really annoying.  I am guessing that the extender is causing some interference with devices connected to the router.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7