× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: NETGEAR EX3700-100UKS AC750 Mbps Using the Ethernet Port to send signal into Powerline

dazlam
Tutor

NETGEAR EX3700-100UKS AC750 Mbps Using the Ethernet Port to send signal into Powerline

I am contemplating buying the above.

I have a router in a small room at one end of the house and I'd like to pick up the signal from this router with the repeater below; 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-EX2700-100UKS-Extender-External-Antennas/dp/B00XYEPLXU/ref=sr_1_4?s...

Then with ethernet cable, I want to feed the signal into a Devolo powerline system to get the internet signal into other rooms in the house.

The reason I can't go straight from the main router into the devolo system is because the room the router is in, is on a different circuit to the rest of the house.

Will this work, will the ethernet port send an internet signal that I can redistribute through the powerline set up?

Thank you for ANY advice!!!

Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
netwrks
Master

Re: NETGEAR EX3700-100UKS AC750 Mbps Using the Ethernet Port to send signal into Powerline

If you already have powerline devices that you can use with Ethernet, consider buying a router / extneder that supports Access Point mode. Avoid extending your wifi signal from a base router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10

All Replies
netwrks
Master

If you already have powerline devices that you can use with Ethernet, consider buying a router / extneder that supports Access Point mode. Avoid extending your wifi signal from a base router.

Message 2 of 10
dazlam
Tutor

So I need to find an extender, as opposed to the unit above, and make sure it supports Access Point mode.  So is this something that does a similar thing, i.e. pick up the exisiting wifi signal and extends it?  As all I need to do is pick up the wifi signal from my main router (where the internet feed comes into the house) and get it to another plug socket location so that I can get the powerline set up onto the right electric circuit in the house.

Message 3 of 10
dazlam
Tutor

Thank you for your message btw 🙂

Message 4 of 10
netwrks
Master

It would something like this:

ISP modem / router modem combo<----->router<-------->Ethernett_to_powerline<------>other_end_of_powerline<---->ethernet connection_to_device that_supports_Access_Point_mode (router in AP mode or an extender that can be configured as an Access Point)

A device in Access Point mode is a layer 2 device that is connected via Ethernet, to extend your LAN segment. Not to be confused with wireless wifi extending. The Access point connects to your Base router via an Ethernet connection which is a consderably more stable connection to your Base router. The wireless client would connect to the Access Point and the data would traverse the ethernet connection between your Base Router and Access Point to get data to and from your wireless clients. Bottom line, a more stable wireless connection from clients connecting to your Access Point. Hope this makes sense..

Message 5 of 10
dazlam
Tutor

Ah, I need it to go the other way, so need wifi from the router/modem to get me to an electric socket that is not in part of the extention of the house (different electric circuit).  So I can start my powerline part of the network on a socket in the house.  Like below;

Router/Modem (from ISP) <--------wifi signal-------->Extender<-------ethernet cable------>devolo plug unit<-------signal over powerline------>devolo plug unit in another room to broadcast wifi elsewhere.

Sorry, probably my fault for not explaining well.

I know a little but not a lot when it comes to this networking lark!

Message 6 of 10
netwrks
Master

Re-reading the doc on the extender you have or going to buy - it supports Access Point mode, so you should be good to go..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-EX2700-100UKS-Extender-External-Antennas/dp/B00XYEPLXU/ref=sr_1_4?s...

• Two Wi-Fi modes to extend your existing Wi-Fi connection or create another Wi-Fi access point.
Message 7 of 10
dazlam
Tutor

I really appreciate your help and patience netwrks, thanks!

Message 8 of 10
rbscycle
Aspirant

I bought an AC750 EX6100 Range Extender/Access Point, to extend my weak signal to the front bedroom.  I ended up buying a LinkSys WRT54GL Router and used it as my access point instead of the EX6100, and it was cheaper!

Message 9 of 10
dazlam
Tutor

Thanks for your reply rbscycle.  I have already bought the Netgear one now.  Gonna set it up this weekend.  Wish me luck!

Plug and Play?  Hahahahaha!!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7