× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Need help with external range extender

Kls1973
Aspirant

Need help with external range extender

I have the above Nighthawk Router. I am needing to purchase an outdoor range extender and am somewhat interested in the Orbi RBS50Y outdoor extender but am not sure if it’s compatible with my existing router, and secondly if it’s my best option for signal strength outdoors. I have a lot of wireless products outside of my home structure that I need good signal strength for and I am not achieving it currently. Could some one please advise? Thank you!
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

The RBS50Y does work as an extender for standard routers and for the orbi's. It has both modes. I've used it before in both modes. It works well. 

The only thing to keep in mind is it connects back wireless. If your signal to get outdoors is blocked by metal siding, brick, concrete, that can degrade your signal and it'd be better to try to get a hardwired connection external to the home. 

the only other outdoor extender is the netgear airbridge. it has an access point mode but would need to be hardwired in. 

Message 2 of 4
Kls1973
Aspirant

Thanks for the input. The more research I do the more I think the air bridge is the way I should go. I do have hardwire ran to the outside wall where I currently have an extender that doesn’t work anymore. For that reason I am really gearing toward PoE as well, so that I do not have to run electrical. I will look into the Air Bridge some more. Thank you again!
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

Glad to hear it!

Let me know how it goes! I've been wanting to try airbridge for a while but can't justify it because it isn't something I "need" 🙂 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7