× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear EX6150v2 as an access point on a pre-existing Apple Network?

JoeInBroooklyn
Initiate

Netgear EX6150v2 as an access point on a pre-existing Apple Network?

Hi all, 
I just purchased the Netgear EX6150v2 range extender with the intent of extending network range by creating an access point on my pre-existing network using an ethernet connection to my Apple Airport Extreme base station. I was hoping to use a hardwired ethernet connection between my wifi router and extender as I understand this is a better method to create a fast, reliable network. 

Using the Netgear Installation Assistant, I was able to create 2.4 and 5 GHz networks per the quick setup guide tat came with the hardware, but can't seem to join my existing network. I'd like the network to be seamless so that any wifi device that I use will simply choose the strongest signal automatically. I also tried to use the Apple Airport utility, but I can't find the Netgear Extender using that utility. 

Is this possible? If so, can someone walk me through the steps, please? 

Thanks much in advance! 
Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3
TheEther
Guru

[Edit: Ignore the below.  I was wrong.  Flip the switch on the extender to AP Mode.  Then you should be golden.  Sorry.]

Not all of Netgear's extenders can be used as an Access Point.  Unfortunately, the EX6150 is one of them.  Return it and get another model.  Check the manuals online to confirm support for operation as an Access Point.

Message 2 of 3
JoeInBroooklyn
Initiate

Thanks for your response and follow-up edit. I tried to make sure that I chose the correct extender before I purchased the unit and it seemed to fulfill all of my criteria. So: phew! 

I think I was able to join my network as an access point by making sure I chose the same SSID and security protocols. This may have been my original problem as I did not know that I could simply override Netgear's SSID suggestions.

I have the extender in AP mode and connected to the router via ethernet, but I don't know if there are any diagnostic tools that I can use to check the extender's performance. I can no longer see the device when I visit Netgear's online utility - assuming this is because it is now part of my pre-existing network. Airport Utility is of no use in this case either. 

I'm currently streaming a few movies to separate devices and the wifi signal seems to be solid: no stalling or pixelated picture. Without the extender, it was somewhat spotty. 

Thanks again. I'll update or repost if situation changes. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7