× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 AC2200 questions

TimNiceBut
Guide

Nighthawk X6 AC2200 questions

I bought this Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender to get a stronger wifi signal throughout the house and into the back garden. I bought it to replace a TP-Link RE360 range extender but either I'm doing something incredibly daft or it isn't working as I'd expect.

MY router is in one corner of the house which is roughly square in shape. The RE360 resided in a socket close to my front door, primarily to increase the signal to my Ring Doorbell and Chime. It also connected to my Cable TV box and the Ring camera in my lounge.

I switched the RE360 off and connected the X6 to my router. I then switched every wifi-connected switch off, rebooted the router and then switched on the X6, which I'd placed next to the cable TV box. I then systematically switched every wifi device back on except the RE360. The X6 only connected to my iPhone! The Lounge camera and Tivo box both connected to my router, even though the X6 was much closer. The RE360 regularly showed 10-12 devices connected. I tried this using the iPhone App and WPS but neither method made any difference.

So, have I got the correct bit of kit or am I really doning something extremely dumb? The X6 is a UK spec device and both 2.4 and 5G connections were made. The two networks are appended XXXXXXX-2G and XXXXXXX-5G but share the same password.

I also have a guest network with a totally different name and password but couldn't see how to connect this. It only operates on 2.4G

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 AC2200 questions

do you have the X6 setup with mesh running (same ssid as router), if so, its the device that decides what to connect to, not the router/extender. 

If you didn't setup mesh (used a different ssid for the extender) its still the device that decides but you have to switch it from router to extender as you prefer. 

Message 2 of 8
TimNiceBut
Guide

Well I'm guessing that I did have mesh running, as the extender has the same two SSIDs as the router and my iPhone switched between the two (5G network on each) without me doing anything other than moving around between the front of the house router) and the back (extender).

Message 3 of 8
TimNiceBut
Guide

And it's gone quiet. I guess I'll be returning this then....

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

I guess I misunderstand what you're asking then because your last response didn't have any questions.

And this is the community forum. where members of the public are helping others out. We're not netgear. threatening to return a product only impacts who I help by making me less likely to help someone. 

Message 5 of 8
TimNiceBut
Guide

I've no idea as to your level of understanding. I asked if I had the right piece of kit or whether I was doing someting extremely dumb, given that my cable tv box or Ring camera wouldn't connect to the X6 in the same room but both would connect to my TP Link RE360 two rooms away.

Your response was to ask me about the Mesh, which I answered. It then went quiet.

I understand that this is a community forum and the potential return of the X6 wasn't a threat; it was an observation. I was hoping for more help but thus far have received nothing of value.

Toodle pip.

Message 6 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @TimNiceBut, just to isolate, try turning off the main router (or just the wireless radio if possible) then check if the device that you intend to connect to the extender does connect to it.

Dexter

Message 7 of 8
TimNiceBut
Guide

Hi @DexterJB ,

I'm not sure what you mean. Could you treat me as the Harry Enfield character, Tim nice but dim, please? I didn't choose that monicker for nothing! 😉

Just for further information, my "Main router" is one supplied by my cable / internet / telephony provider. It has a cable entering it and, I'm guessing, is both modem and router combined, with a wired connection to my wife's Desktop PC and both 2 and 5GHz wifi frequencies. I have this configured as two separate SSIDs, VMxxxxxx-2G and VMxxxxxx-5G. I also have a guest network with a totally different name which only uses 2GHz, I believe.

I have used both the iPhone App and WPS methods to connect the router to the extender, and the app then reports two wifi connections, mirroring the -2G and -5G SSIDs as above.

I *think* you want me to turn off my main router (or its wifi, which I believe I can do in the router settiings) but leave the extender on and see if, for instance, my iPhone connects to it. Is that gorrect? I assume I should also switch off the TP-Link RE360 which is currently still operational, although I did have it switched off while setting up the Extender and connecting it to the wifi router. I also left it switched off for extended periods while doing other tests. I will attempt this a bit later. Currently both my wife and I are working from home and need the wifi for work.

Tim

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7