× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk X6 [R8000] but wanted to extend. Do I add on or upgrade?

MikeyW
Aspirant

Nighthawk X6 [R8000] but wanted to extend. Do I add on or upgrade?

Hi, I've had the Nighthawk X6 for a couple of years. I recently upgraded to fiber and teh x6 is connected to the ISP's modem.

My desktop and media pc are connected to the X6 via ethernet.

My wireless connection in the far corners of the house is usable, but could always be better. The main reason I want to improve my network is that my Nvidia Shield sometimes struggles to stream from the media pc, even though it's not that far away.

I'm wondering if a mesh network, possibly with ethernet input for the Shield TV would be a good option?

Should I look at building a system on top of the X6, or is it time to replace it? I'm not sure how competitive the device is compared to what is on the market at the moment.

Thanks

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk X6 [R8000] but wanted to extend. Do I add on or upgrade?

If the current router is working well for your needs they why not add on. EX are for helping extend and get wifi signals into farther reaching remote places in the home where the main host router can't seem to reach. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Also consider your device growth. Do you see the addition of alot more devcies or just maybe a few? 

Message 2 of 9
MikeyW
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply.

My house is only 1800 square feet, across 2 floors.

However, the room with the Nvidia Shield TV is only in the next room, so I'm surprised the connection isn't strong enough. 

Sorry can you clarify what you mean by EX? 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

EX = Extender#### model number.

Possible bad wifi on this TV too. If in the next room then the TV shouldn't have any problems. 

Is WMM, Smart Connect and Beamforming enabled on the router? 

Message 4 of 9
MikeyW
Aspirant

When I upgraded to fiber and swiched to the new modem, I lost access to the admin of the router (even though that is what I'm using for wifi). It was working, so I didn't mess with it.

Do you think enabling those features might make a difference? If so I can out why I don't have admin access.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

YOu should have admin access to the main host router thru the EX. If you connect directly to the router do you have access then? 

Same goes for the EX web page. Should have access to the EX web page from either side of the EX. 

Message 6 of 9
MikeyW
Aspirant

I don't have an extender yet. But no, directly attached to the router I don't have admin access. The login page doesn't think I'm attached... even though I am.

Message 7 of 9
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@MikeyW wrote:

...I'm wondering if a mesh network, possibly with ethernet input for the Shield TV would be a good option?..

Go with Ethernet whenever possible.  It might be ok to stream Netflix/Prime/Hulu via wireless, but it'll struggle with higher bitrate stream from your local/pc media server.   Went through similar issue with my Shield TV when I first got the Orbi RBK53 set.  The Shield TV struggled to stream from my local Synology NAS via wireless.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You should have access either wired or wireless to the routers admin page. 

@MikeyW wrote:

I don't have an extender yet. But no, directly attached to the router I don't have admin access. The login page doesn't think I'm attached... even though I am.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7