× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk m6 pro - Compatible with RAX80?

BlurbRides
Aspirant

Nighthawk m6 pro - Compatible with RAX80?

I have a nice network setup with the RAX80, however I'm getting frustrated with our broadband provider (unreliable and expensive) and there isn't any alternatives available as the cables haven't been installed yet.

I'm considering purchasing a M6 Pro as an alternative. Assuming the SIM supports 5g, no limits on data etc I have 2 questions:
* Can I link the M6 Pro to my existing network, a bit like putting my broadband router into modem mode?
* How does it compare to fibre? Will it handle working from home, a teenager gaming, and another streaming films? Or am I being too hopeful?

Thanks!
Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

fiber is much better. 

the hard part is that a lot depends on your coverage. It could work fantastic, or it could be horrible if the coverage isn't great. It just depends on the ISP. 

I'd see if they off a 30 day trial and if it doesn't work well, check into starlink

Message 2 of 4
BlurbRides
Aspirant

Thanks. My fibre was down to 16mbps this morning, and another few hours of them trying to convince me the problem is my end (at that point my router was turned off, and their router had been factory reset). My contract ends soon they are trying to sell me an "offer" of over £80 - just for broadband (3× what they charge new customers).

I'm tempted to try 5g on a rolling 1 month contract initially, but feel like I need decent kit to try it with... or am I being drawn in by the specs?
Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

@BlurbRides wrote:
Thanks. My fibre was down to 16mbps this morning, and another few hours of them trying to convince me the problem is my end (at that point my router was turned off, and their router had been factory reset). My contract ends soon they are trying to sell me an "offer" of over £80 - just for broadband (3× what they charge new customers).-----Seems a bit sketchy on their end. Usually fibre either works or it doesn't. It isn't like cable where youc an have slow downs from interference. 

I'm tempted to try 5g on a rolling 1 month contract initially, but feel like I need decent kit to try it with... or am I being drawn in by the specs?----the specs are good. But its a big buy in if it doesn't work out. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series