× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: One WiFi Name feature when EX8000 connected as access point

mpnret
Tutor

One WiFi Name feature when EX8000 connected as access point

Can anyone confirm that the "One WiFi Name" feature actually works when when the EX8000 is connected as an access point? The option is missing from my settings. User manual indicates it should work. Tech support claims it should work but all they are really doing is reading the same user manual I am. My next step is to do a factory reset and reinstall as an extender with "One WiFi Name" feature enabled and then switch it over to access point and see if the feature holds. Any ideas?

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender, R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 8
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yea I would try what you just said and if not let me know I will report this as an issue.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 8
mpnret
Tutor

Yes, if you could report this as an issue I would appreciate it. Here is where I am so far: I have 2 EX8000s both on the latest firmware (V1.0.1.202). I have tried a number of factory resets and re-installs. Both have the same issue that being when installed as an access point (ethernet cable) there is no option for "One WiFI Name" or "Sync Configuration from Netgear Router" . These options are there when installed as an Extender (wireless). These options are under settings, wireless, general after logging on to the extender along with the "Enable Smart Connect" which is there in both cases. I realize I could manually name the SSID the same on both router and EX8000 but that will not give me a true mesh network. This same issue is reported a number of times in the community. Here is one link: https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX8000-or-similar-mesh-extender-w-wi...

I called tech support case 41572794 and their only answer is factory reset and re-install. I ask for second level support and all I get is silence. I hope this issue can be resolved before my return window closes and I move on to Ubiquiti Mesh which is what the poster did in the link I provided above.

Thanks, Mike

Message 3 of 8
MobsterPhil
Aspirant

Hello Mike,

Was this issue resolved in any way?

I have exactly the same issue and exactly the same problem with the Netgear Support. Or should I say Netgear not support...

They keep sending me user manuals with the same information. I also asked for a second line support to call me, but no answer.

I think I also will have to switch to a competitor. Or should I say a company that delivers what they sell.

Kind regards,

Philip

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 4 of 8
mpnret
Tutor

Hi MobsterPhil,

Never in my life have I encountered tech support like Netgear. It's like they set my wife down at a desk, gave her a phone and a Netgear manual and said people will call in with questions. You can find the answers in the manual.

Anyway aside from that I did get things working. There is a link to a document below.  The note in step 8 alludes that you need to manually enter the same SSID as your router for One WiFi Name feature to work. It isn't real clear about this because then it mentions  " With One WiFi enabled" and of course the problem is the option is not there to enable and if it was you wouldn't need to enter the same credentials as your router.  Who writes this stuff? So I did manually enter the same SSID as the router. I also have another EX8000 on WiFi with one WiFi enabled plus the router. As I move about the house my devices connect to the EX or router with the strongest signal and it does seem to behave as a mesh network should. Good Luck, Mike

https://kb.netgear.com/000060286/How-do-I-install-my-Nighthawk-Mesh-WiFi-Range-Extender-as-an-Access...

Message 5 of 8
MobsterPhil
Aspirant

Hello Mike,

I lost a lot of time today, but I will have a call organized with second line soon. I hope they will be able to help me.

I had my network configured as yours, but that is not really a mesh network. When setup like that, there are some disadvantages:

- Both AP's interfere instead of working together

- You stay connected to the closest AP at the moment you connected. When moving around, it is possible that you stay connected to the most far away AP with a bad connection while sitting next to the other AP.

- You loose connection when switching AP

- You have a lot more radiation in your house then needed.

What I found out already is that both (extender and router) are configured in a different subnet. Therefore the 'one wifi name' option could be disabled.

I hope the second line will be able to configure my network...

Message 6 of 8
mpnret
Tutor

Hi Philip,

I would be interested in hearing how your call goes. As I mentioned in the previous post mine seems to working as I would expect a mesh network to work. Hand off seems pretty smooth and consistent to the EX or router I am closest to, as I would expect in a mesh network but I am no expert on mesh networks. At one point I did have both EX's set up wireless with "One WiFi" enabled on both but did have issues. I would be connected to one EX and move away right next to the other and it would not switch. It seemed to know that the previous EX had a stronger backhaul to the router and kept me locked onto that one even though my device connection to that EX became almost non-existent. If I forced a connection to the one I was next to it then worked. Switching that one to AP mode fixed the issue.

Mike

Message 7 of 8
MobsterPhil
Aspirant

The Neatgear support is horrible! They keep on asking the same questions and give standard, irrelevant information. When I called them they would forward my question to second line support.

I already asked multiple times when this support is available to plan a call, but they just don't seem to be able to answer this verry simple question.

Netgear is clearly not up to professional support.

I have always used and recommended Netgear, but this is not what I expected...

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7