× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Physical location for Multiple EX8000 (X6S) Range Extenders

Dantastic
Aspirant

Physical location for Multiple EX8000 (X6S) Range Extenders

Hello, I've looked through this forum and online and cant seem to find the answer I am looking for.  

Its looking like I need two range extenders with my router to get the coverage I am looking for.  I have a Nighthawk X10 router and I plan to pick up two X6S (EX8000) extenders.  

What is the most efficient way to position these devices?  

Should I connect them this way:

Router > Extender > Extender 

OR is it possible to have both extenders connected to the router?

Extender < Router > Extender

Currently my router is central to my house but I dont have a problem repositioning it to accomodate the most approprate setup above.

Also,  if I am strictly looking for best speed, and am willing to lose the single SSID name, which is faster -- the range extender wirelessly connected to the router or the extender directly wired to the router in AP mode? 

thank you for your help,

dan  

Model: EX8000|AC3000 Nighthawk X6S Tri Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Physical location for Multiple EX8000 (X6S) Range Extenders

Hi @Dantastic,

Welcome to the community!

A wired setup is always recommended to get the most bandwidth as there are lesser variables to deal with which makes setting up the extender in AP mode the most ideal if your priority is speed especially if you already have the network setup (Ethernet wall patches and/or if you don't mind long Ethernet cables). As far as the wireless options,  Extender < Router > Extender is the better option/positioning since you will lose speed with an extender to extender connection.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @Dantastic,

Welcome to the community!

A wired setup is always recommended to get the most bandwidth as there are lesser variables to deal with which makes setting up the extender in AP mode the most ideal if your priority is speed especially if you already have the network setup (Ethernet wall patches and/or if you don't mind long Ethernet cables). As far as the wireless options,  Extender < Router > Extender is the better option/positioning since you will lose speed with an extender to extender connection.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team 

Message 2 of 3
Dantastic
Aspirant

Thank you, I appreciate your help!

Dan
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies