× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: R7000 + EX8000 frequent disconnections

Gazzetti
Aspirant

R7000 + EX8000 frequent disconnections

Hello,
I have a PC connected on the other end of the wifi bridge and the connection painfully abruptly stops until one of the two devices is reset manually. It always behaved like this, but in the beginning the problem arised once every few days, which may be ok. Now it happens at least twice every day and it's basically unusable if you are not present to fix the connection with a reset.
The range extender EX8000 is the one that fails more often, leaving all wired devices acting like a wire is connected but without any network available. This situation sustains until the range extender is reset. It's worth mentioning that I can access to it with a wired PC and reset it trough the interface, that says that the connection is OK and doesn't report any issue. Leds keep shining as if everything is OK.
This happens literally multiple times every day, with or without devices connected.
Way less often, once every week or two, it's the R7000 to fail to provide wireless connection. This time leds show the issue, but it still persists until the device is not reset manually. It's working in Access Point mode.
Lately these disconnections happened more and more often lately, leaving me thinking they may be related to the increased temperatures of summer, since the devices are somehow hot.
Anyone as a suggestion on what to do to address this issue? I need a more realiable network than this.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

What I'd start with? the R7000.

Whenever you use a range extender, the backbone of the system is the router. And the R7000 has been known to have troublesome firmware.

You didn't put which version your on for it.

firmware R7000: 

Firmware for EX8000:

also, what modem is the R7000 connected to. double nats have caused issues before. 

In terms of firmware, I'd install 1.0.9.42 of the firmware to the R7000, factory reset it, and then reinstall it. Disable auto updates. I'd highly recommend doing it over a hardwired connection. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What I'd start with? the R7000.

Whenever you use a range extender, the backbone of the system is the router. And the R7000 has been known to have troublesome firmware.

You didn't put which version your on for it.

firmware R7000: 

Firmware for EX8000:

also, what modem is the R7000 connected to. double nats have caused issues before. 

In terms of firmware, I'd install 1.0.9.42 of the firmware to the R7000, factory reset it, and then reinstall it. Disable auto updates. I'd highly recommend doing it over a hardwired connection. 

Message 2 of 3
Gazzetti
Aspirant

I wanted to reach out to you and thank you for your contribuition: you were right, different DNS were the issue. The R7000 does not allow to set DNS in Access point mode, but it still remembers the last configuration it had before being set in Access point mode.
I switched it to Router mode, set DNS according to the ones on the range extender and switched it back to Access point mode, now it remembers the right DNS. Since then I did not experience a single disconnection, where before they happened multiple times every day.
Thank you, you pointed me to the right direction when I was just blatantly blaming Netgear for their hardware. That now works like it should for what I paid for.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7