× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Robbed of warranty on EX8000 extender

AHR6912
Guide

Robbed of warranty on EX8000 extender

I bought my 3rd, EX8000 Extender from BeachAudio through Amazon, 7/26/2022. Tried calling tech, back then, about a connection issue. I was told at that time the Netgear tech department couldn't help me due to a registration problem, (registered to another person, I finally found out).

I went through 2 months of back and forth with emails and phone concerns to get to use the thing.

Finally, today, 11/09/2022, I am registered.

Great, BUT, no tech support. The warranty starts from the time I bought it, rather then the start day (register) of being able to use the device I paid for.

Of course, now it's too late to return the EX8000. So, what am I supposed to do to hook it up with no tech assistance?

Is there someone at Netgear that can help fix the dates on the tech registration so I can get the help I'm entitled to?

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: Robbed of warranty on EX8000 extender

The community support forum is where members of the public help out. We can't fix your registration and you'd need to go through support for issues you're having with it. 

We can potentially help you with issues installing though. 

What issue are you having in detail?

Message 2 of 12
AHR6912
Guide

Hi folks,
Thanks for some help here.
Spectrum 400+, 21up. Rx500, with 3- EX8000 extenders with the same SSID. All cat6 wiredvto a GS716T switcher. All channels are the same.
Placement:
155' long frame home with 2 levels and a walkable attic. The RX500 sits in the middle of the home, main level. There are 2 -EX8000 in the attic that are 40' away from the center placed RX500. I'd like to place the new EX8000 under the RX500, but in the finished basement, meaning downstairs. All of these are cat 6 back to the RX500. The RX500 feeds the switcher. Hope that helps.
Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

It does help with understanding your layout and your devices. 

I take it you mean the RAXE500 as there isn't an RX500 from netgear?

What issue are you having setting up the ex8000? 

FWIW, you might actually have to much coverage and interference with that many EX8000's and the raxe500. With running the RAXE500 and 3x EX8000's in AP mode (since they're hardwired in), they all together have 4x streams running in the 2.4ghz band and 7x 5ghz streams. You might have luck with setting their 5ghz/2.4ghz speeds down a notch so you can space out the 2.4ghz/5ghz channels to prevent interference. 

Message 4 of 12
AHR6912
Guide

My screwup...
Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500
RX500=XR500
THANKS
Message 5 of 12
AHR6912
Guide

What are your thoughts on the BS on the warranty.
I think it's unfair to delay tech support because the unit they sold me through a registered dealer should have been scrubbed by the previous owner. Regardless of that, it should have been disclosed that it wasn't new either. I was never told any of that until 11/8/2022 when I lost it and called to speak with a supervisor.
Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

tough to know what a reseller does with returned products. Netgear doesn't control it. But not here to dispute issues with registration. Like I said, you'll have to go through customer support for issues with that. We're members of the public. 

What actual issue are you having with the install? 

Again, you've went over your setup nicely but we don't know what actual problem you're having you're trying to contact customer support about. 

Message 7 of 12
AHR6912
Guide

My concern was the layout/placement of these ex8000s with my listed equipment.

The way to configure them so they work well together.

To undestand better running them as AP's rather then extenders. Meaning, why should all the SSID name be the same or is there a BEST way to do this install.
Thanks again,

Message 8 of 12
AHR6912
Guide

Message 9 of 12
plemans
Guru

The BEST way? Sell them and go with a mesh system like Orbi. 

To use your current setup? It'll take some testing/tuning and isn't going to be a simple process. 

Reason why is range extenders when used in AP mode, have their smart roaming features disabled. So devices don't roam as efficiently as a mesh system. Full mesh systems like orbi can be used with a wired backhaul or wireless backhaul as there's a router controlling the system. When you cobble it together using a standard router and several extenders (even through they're "mesh") nothing is controlling the system. This can also cause issues because when the extenders are used in extender mode and have their smart roaming features enabled, can end up connected to each other and not back to the router. Its why you'll find me always recommending to only use a single wireless extender. And if you're needing more than that, to move to a full mesh system. It tends to create loops/instabilities. 

So if you're using them in AP mode and want to use the same ssid, you'll have to play with them a bit. Both in where you place them but also with their broadcast strength. If their broadcast strength is to far, devices won't roam at all or the signal will have to be pretty low before it roams. You'll also have to play with your 2.4/5ghz wireless channels so you aren't getting AP's using the same wireless channels right next to each other or they create interference with each other. 

are you planning on setting them up in ap mode or extender mode? 

Message 10 of 12
AHR6912
Guide

AP mode would be more convenient.
AND
Which ORBI system would you suggest? Please.

Also, I'm using the WIFI Analyzer app on my android and I can map the home of db numbers using that as a base setting I can reposition each unit independently of each other and getbthere signal strength.
Thoughts please.
BTW, you have been very gracious to me. I appreciate your effirt and time.
Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

I think you can probably get it to work fine with some playing with settings. 

I'd start by just putting the ex8000's where you'd prefer them. 

Then stagger their channels for the 2.4ghz/5ghz. That's something you do need to do to help prevent interference.

Again, you might get less interference if you actually set your channel widths down a notch (the "up to ++++ speed). 

That'll narrow your channel width so they don't interfere as much. 

try that and see how it works. If it stinks, the try dropping the broadcast power on some of the ex8000's to 75 or 50% and see how it works. 

In terms of orbi, your setup is pretty extensive. You have pretty much top of the line router and extenders for AC. To get faster speeds (because yours should already be pretty fast), you'd have to go pretty expensive. Not sure if its worth it. There's some cheaper dual band mesh systems that'd perform pretty rock solid when you hardwire them in. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7