× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Should I replace my EAX80 or reconfigure it ?

davidgarratt
Guide

Should I replace my EAX80 or reconfigure it ?

So my config looks like this. I have 3 x EAX80 Mesh Wifi Extenders in Access Point mode hard wired back to a Draytek 2962 router.

I have manually selected different channels for 2.4 and 5 ghz networks on each EAX80 and I only have one network name.

Now this works OK - but roaming does not happend unless I force it by disconnecting wifi and forcing it to reconnect to the nearest AP.

So - I'm a little unsure about the "Mesh" part of the name in the EAX80 title. As far as I can tell my units are just acting as AP's and I would like to know what I would need to do in order to make them work as Mesh devices with ethernet backhaul.

Do I need to reconfigure them or is the problem the fact that I am not using a NightHawk Router with them ? If so what should I get.

The other alternative would be to replace the whole lot with an Orbi 960 (I feel the need for speed) but that's a major purchase and would involve some careful planning.

If someone could explain how I get more "mesh" like behavour so that roaming from wifi satellite to wifi satellite is more seamless then it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Dabe

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Should I replace my EAX80 or reconfigure it ?

The "mesh" part of it works perfectly fine in extender mode. In access point mode though, smart roaming features are disabled as its function as a single access point, not as part of a mesh. Its why you're devices don't roam very efficiently (or not at all). 

If you're wanting a full mesh device, then you need to get something like the MK nighthawk system or orbi system. 

good thing is you have hardwired backhauls. With a hardwired backhaul, a cheap dual band system will perform pretty great. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Roaming depends on the client device and how it is designed for support for roaming. Devices make the roaming move if and when needed. Not all devices have good roaming features, so something you'd need to check with the Mfr of that device.

EAX80 in AP mode is not a MESH system nor support any kind of roaming for devices. The EAX is working as intended for this mode of operation. 

Message 2 of 9
davidgarratt
Guide

So what I am asking is how can I get a Mesh type solution with my EAX80's - what would I need to change ?

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

MESH is not supported on EAX80. 

You can try Extender mode and see, though again, depending upon the client device, they will hang on to one signal an may not roam to another. 

Message 4 of 9
davidgarratt
Guide

And yet the product is called :

-

AX6000 WiFi Mesh Extender (EAX80)

Nighthawk® AX8 WiFi Mesh Extender, 6Gbps

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

The "mesh" part of it works perfectly fine in extender mode. In access point mode though, smart roaming features are disabled as its function as a single access point, not as part of a mesh. Its why you're devices don't roam very efficiently (or not at all). 

If you're wanting a full mesh device, then you need to get something like the MK nighthawk system or orbi system. 

good thing is you have hardwired backhauls. With a hardwired backhaul, a cheap dual band system will perform pretty great. 

Message 6 of 9
davidgarratt
Guide

I've decided to replace my router and EAX80's with an Orbi Mesh system. Hopefully that will streamline things a bit.

Anyone wants 3 x EAX80's I'm open to offers 🙂

Dave

Message 7 of 9
plemans
Guru

Those are some expensive devices. Maybe just try it for a bit in extender mode and see how it works 🙂

Or go all out and switch to the mesh, Whatever works best for you. 

Message 8 of 9
nrosenb
Aspirant

I'm curious, how did the EAX80s perform in extender (vs AP) mode? 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7