× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying to extend only my 5GHz with EX6150v2

Slide187
Follower

Trying to extend only my 5GHz with EX6150v2

Hi,

My wifi router is an R6230.  So it broadcasts 5GHz and 2.4GHz.  I also have an EX6150v2. What it seems to be doing in the default setup is connecting to my wifi router via 5GHz only and offering both a 5GHz extended net as well as a 2.4GHz extended net.... What I'd like to do is extend ONLY my 5GHz channel and offfer ONLY a 5GHz connection to it, I would also like it to broadcast the same name as my existing 5GHz network.    Here are my questions:

1. Is that possible with this setup?

2. If so, how would I do it?  Would I need to enable Fastlane and connect the extender and the router with 2.4 to not offer that as a connection?  Or is there just a way to turn off all 2.4 related stuff on the extender?

3. If the extender broadcasts the same SSID as the main router, how can I tell which one I'm on at that moment, or would it just be signal strength that tells me that?

Thanks for any info!!!

T

Model: EX6150|AC1200 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Trying to extend only my 5GHz with EX6150v2

Hello Slide187

Yes you can name them the same but they are still 2 separate networks and yes you would have to use fastlane.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7