× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to set up my Wireless Extender to use the same SSID as my router

adamnb
Aspirant

Unable to set up my Wireless Extender to use the same SSID as my router

Hi all

I am unable to set up my WN3000RP Wireless Extender to use the same SSID as my router.

I connect the two using the WPS functions. Then when I go to http://www.mywifiext.net and try and change the SSID name so it is the same as my router in 'general' and then go to save, I get the following:

Connect any WiFi enabled device like you would connect them to your main network, using the credentials below.

Extender network  

• Network Name (SSID): 
  • Security: 
  • Password (network key): 

All my devices are already connected to the main network. Then I go to continue and I get redirected to a page that says "You are not connected to your extender's WiFi network."

I am then unable to connect and log in again until I pair via WPS again and start over with the _EXT network.

Please help! 

Model: WN3000RP|Universal WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Unable to set up my Wireless Extender to use the same SSID as my router

Hi adamnb - Please refer to page 16 of the user manual:

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/WN3000RP/WN3000RP_UM_1Feb13.pdf

~Christian 

Message 2 of 4
adamnb
Aspirant

Hi Christian

This isn't a solution, unfortunately.

I'm effectively trying to clone my router SSID. When I set the new SSID on the NetGear device as the same as my router, I'm unable to connect to the "newly named" network as it does not appear alongside my original network (as they have the same name) and I am told "You are not connected to your extender's WiFi network."

This means the process is incomplete and I have to start all over again. 

Message 3 of 4
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi adamnb - Log into the router's admin page and ensure that your extender is connected to the network. Locate the extender's IP address and type it into a web browser. From there you should be able to complete the set up of having your extender's SSID identical to your router's SSID. 

~Christian 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7