× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Virtual MAC Addresses- Anyone own a EX6400, EX7300, or EX7000

jasondmcgee
Follower

Virtual MAC Addresses- Anyone own a EX6400, EX7300, or EX7000

Hello-

Does anyone on here own a EX6400 or EX7300 extender that could check/answer something for me?  I'm in need of an extender that does not use a single shared virtual mac address, but instead uses one per connected device.  I need this to be able to limit bandwidth and internet schedules from my home router which is based on Mac Address.  I have reviewed the user manuals for the EX6400 and EX7300 and found these statements:

5.Select Settings > Connected Devices. The Connected Devices page displays the MAC addresses and virtual MAC addresses for computers and WiFi devices that are connected to the extender network.

6. On the router, add the extender’s virtual MAC address and all the virtual MAC addresses connected to the extender network to your router’s MAC filter table.

This seems to indicate that each device gets its own virtual Mac Address, but if I review the screen shot on page 19 of the same manual which is a screen shot of the Settings>Connected Devices screen, it only shows the IP, device name, and Mac Address (not virtual).  So, I'm trying to determine if there will only be one shared virtual Mac Address for all devices or if each device will in fact be assigned a unique virtual Mac Address.  The EX7000 manual shows a screen shot of the Connected Devices and it does appear to show a Global Mac Address and Virtual Mac Address per device.  But I would like to confirm before going and buying one to know which (if any) will work for my situation.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Model: EX7300|AC2200 Nighthawk X4 Wall-plug Range Extender
Message 1 of 2
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Virtual MAC Addresses- Anyone own a EX6400, EX7300, or EX7000

Hello jasondmcgee

It should assign each a individual mac address.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7