× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN3000RP extender -- computer can't see extender network

7stud
Aspirant

WN3000RP extender -- computer can't see extender network

Hi,

After doing a WPS setup(click WPS button on router, click WPS button on extender), my imac 10.6.7 can't see ANY networks with '_EXT' on the end of the name. Namely, my imac can't see a network named NETGEAR_EXT, nor can it see CURRENT_NETWORK_NAME_EXT.

My imac is about 25-30 feet from the extender with a straight line of site. My imac can still see CURRENT_NETWORK_NAME. I can see no new networks after setting up the extender.

The extender has 3 green lights on it after doing a WPS setup.
Message 1 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WPS will not work with imac. you will need to use standard encryption instead.
Message 2 of 18
7stud
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the response. How do I set up the extender with "standard" encryption?
Message 3 of 18
7stud
Aspirant

The directions have a section titled "Manual Connection without WPS", but the directions say to use my computer to connect to the NETGEAR_EXT wireless network, but as I mentioned Airport can't see a network called NETGEAR_EXT. Nor can I connect to the address www.mywifiext.net mentioned in the instructions.
Message 4 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Use ethernet cable to the device to configure
Message 5 of 18
drgadget
Aspirant

7stud wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for the response. How do I set up the extender with "standard" encryption?

I am using a WNDR4000 dual band router and had Wireless Access Control activated on both the router and Extender. No go. Another user suggested I turn off WAC on the router and then all worked fine.

I am using WPA2-PSK encryption and that works great.

What do mean by 'standard' encryption? Today, I'd say WPA2-PSK (AES) is the standard. But of you are using WinXP and/or an older piece of hardware, then you may need to use WEP.

Any help?
Message 6 of 18
drgadget
Aspirant

7stud wrote:
The directions have a section titled "Manual Connection without WPS", but the directions say to use my computer to connect to the NETGEAR_EXT wireless network, but as I mentioned Airport can't see a network called NETGEAR_EXT. Nor can I connect to the address www.mywifiext.net mentioned in the instructions.

I used a Mac and had to resort to using an Ethernet cable between the extender and the MacBook Pro. Forget about WPS, that is irrelevant here. Go in and set it up, and when you hit FINISH then you will get to and that will allow you do some more advanced setup. I set up a tab in the browser so I could flick between my router <192.169.1.1> and the extender to test various setup combinations.

It is a crazy system because you find it hard to get into the 'real' setup <.../start.html> but once there all makes sense.
🙂
Message 7 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

What do mean by 'standard' encryption? Today, I'd say WPA2-PSK (AES) is the standard. But of you are using WinXP and/or an older piece of hardware, then you may need to use WEP.

WPA,WPA2,WEP is encryption over WPS setup user has issue with Mac
Message 8 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

7stud wrote:

There is is Ethernet port located side of the device. Plug the Mac and you can access the device interface
Message 9 of 18
7stud
Aspirant

I borrowed an ethernet cable, but I still can't get my extender to work. Here is what I did:

1) Plugged ethernet cable into extender and plugged other end in to computer.
2) I couldn't see any networks with _EXT, so I entered www.mywifiext.com in the address bar of my browser.
3) I was taken to a setup page.
4) At some point, I put in my WEP password for my current network, and then clicked the "Generate" button next to that text box. At that point, I had no idea what I was doing.
5) Some radio buttons below the text box looked something like this:

Key 1: X6758SDB
Key 2: GH134898

I had no idea what those were for. The first radio button was checked, and because I didn't know what to do, I clicked Continue.

6) I chose something that said keep the password the same as my network's password.

7) Then the instructions said to use my computer to connect wirelessly to the _EXT network, which was now one of the available networks, and then come back and click on a checkbox, which I did.

😎 Then I was asked to login? and enter my name and password. I had no idea what my name should be or what password to use. I tried combinations of my old network's name and its WEP password, the new network name (the one with _EXT) and the Key1 that was checked. Nothing worked, so I clicked Cancel.

9) Then I unplugged the ethernet cable from both the extender and my imac. I could see the EXT network, but I couldn't connect to it. When I chose it from a drop down list, my computer just kept searching for it.

10) I plugged the ethernet cable into the extender and my imac, and entered www.miwifiext.com in the address bar of my browser, but I was presented with a login dialog asking for my name and password.

I have no idea what to do now.
Message 10 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

dont' use WEP.. use WPA, WPA2
Message 11 of 18
7stud
Aspirant

Okay, I entered my WEP password for the existing network on one of the setup pages. That page has a 'Generate' button next to the text box for the password, and I'm still don't know what that is. But on the next page, there is a checkbox that is checked, and it says:

Use same security and passphrase as those for existing networks

If I uncheck that, then choices appear for other security measures. I chose:

WPA2-PSK[AES]

And in the 'Pass phrase' textbox below that, my WEP password was filled in. So I clicked Continue.

Then once again I came to a page that said I should wirelessly connect to the Extender, and after doing so click a checkbox. I used my Imac's Airport dialog box to choose the _EXT network, and it seemed to connect fine. Then I clicked on the newly activated Continue button, and I was told my setup was complete.

Then what? I unhooked the ethernet cable from the extender and my imac, but my browser was unable to open any web pages. The network showed the full number of bars(indicating a good signal), but I couldn't open any web pages. I tried shutting down Safari and bringing up a new browser window, but that didn't work either. I also tried switching to my old network, which enabled me to open web pages again, and then switching back to the _EXT network, but once again I couldn't open any web pages.
Message 12 of 18
7stud
Aspirant

One other thing: I found something online that said the name is 'admin' and the password is 'password'. So now I can respond to the page that asks for those.
Message 13 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

you MUST change the encryption from WEP to WPA2 in the MAIN ROUTER FIRST 🙂
Message 14 of 18
7stud
Aspirant

How do I do that? And why will that make a difference?
Message 15 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

7stud wrote:
How do I do that? And why will that make a difference?

did you read what I said? MAIN ROUTER .... CHAGE the encryption on main wireless router's wireless setting
Message 16 of 18
7stud
Aspirant

Yes. Did you read what I said: HOW???!

Let me expand on that:

HOW???
HOW??
HOW??
Message 17 of 18
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso