× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN3000RP - shared house question

scottwhatever
Novice

WN3000RP - shared house question

HI,
I currently live in a bedsit with about 25 rooms, 3 floors, and has Wifi with Virgin Media. The router is on the first floor and I'm on ground floor. The signal is very poor, in fact neglible. So I'm having to tether to my phone, which uses all my GBs.

I've looked at options and the Netgear WN3000RP Universal Wifi Range Extender has come up as an option (basically because it gets good reviews and is cheap, at Argos).

I've put this to my landlord. His question is:

How will pluggin this in on the ground floor (near to my room) affect other tenants connection to the router?

Appreciate the help...

Scott

Message 1 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Your use of a range extender will have negligible effect on other users, however I don’t think it will meet your expectations given the position you plan to use it in. For a range extender to propagate a good throughput to its clients it needs to be in a position where it will receive a good throughput itself from the base station.

I would suggest that you consider Powerline products, some of which provide a WiFi Access Point at the remote end;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerm/powerline.htm
Message 2 of 4
scottwhatever
Novice

Hi Andy, thanks for answering on this. Sorry for the really late response. I've been doing some research and found powerline options at Argos. I've asked my landlord about it and he's still concerned that it'll lower the speed for other tenants. He's not really tech savvy, and neither am I. Hence my questions here. Will this have any affect at all for other tenants, different to what would happen if I was just connect to the wifi normally and using it? Cheers, Scott
Message 3 of 4
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It will have no more effect on data rates for the others than if you directly connected to the router, which I assume you are allowed to do. The access point / repeater / Powerline product or whatever you choose (are allowed) to use will not increase your use of data beyond what it would otherwise be.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7