× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN3000RPv3 - Configuration as Access Point Fails

HoppyDude1948
Aspirant

WN3000RPv3 - Configuration as Access Point Fails

WN3000RPv3 is connected to Internet Router via Ethernet.

Tried connecting PC to NETGEAR_EXT wireless but couldn't even find it among available networks until I disconnected from hardwired Internet first.

Even though the extender is hardwired to the router, it shows no Internet connection. Why not?

When I go to mywifiext.net and click on the New Extender Setup, it takes me to a Registration page, which I've already filled out a dozen times. Of course when I click continue, it won't continue because I HAVE NO INTERNET CONNECTION. If I try to connect my PC to the Internet through the router, I lose the wireless connection to NETGEAR_EXT. This is very frustrating.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'm following setup instructions to the letter.

Also, there's no phone number anywhere on this site and no chat link on this site, even though I'm registered and am supposed to have phone and chat support once registered. Nice service, Netgear!

Model: WN3000RPv3|N300 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: WN3000RPv3 - Configuration as Access Point Fails

Hi @HoppyDude1948,

Welcome to the community!

1. If you are looking to setup the WN3000RPv3 in extender mode (not in access point mode) then you don't need to have it wired to the router.

2. Page 10 of the user manual on this link may help out.

3. You can then relocate the extender to an optimal position once you have completed the setup.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 8
HoppyDude1948
Aspirant

Hi Dexter,

I'm not trying to set it up as a range extender. Need to set up as an Access Point.

Your suggestion is not a solution, unfortunately.

My house is 100 yrs old with 6" thick lath and horsehair plaster walls. Wireless signal does not penetrate enough to make the range extender option work. If I put the extender where it can receive a strong signal, it's too far from the target area. Thus the ethernet run and the Access Point option. So how does that work?

Message 3 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @HoppyDude1948,

1. To confirm, you can't get to the step where you choose whether to setup the device in extender mode or access point mode, correct?

2. Have you tried using another device (another computer, smartphone, tablet)?

3. Have you tried using another browser?

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 8
HoppyDude1948
Aspirant

Per your questions:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

Message 5 of 8
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @HoppyDude1948,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 6 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Been a long time since I used that extender, but my recollection is that you can click through that registration page (rather than filling it in). 

Perhaps you've already looked, - but just in case, I suggest checking that the ethernet LED is lit (it might be easier to see that on the router LAN port than the extender).

Message 7 of 8
HoppyDude1948
Aspirant

Well, I ended up sending them back. Took way too long to get responses, and those were unsatisfactory.

Bought a relatively low-powered ASUS router and configured it in access point mode in about 30 seconds. Now have excellent wifi in my previously underserved part of the house for about half the cost of the two extenders.

Thanks anyway folks. You can close this issue.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7