× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WN802T is it dead???

gyc_uk
Aspirant

WN802T is it dead???

Hiya guys,

Is my access point dead?

I have a WN802T, which i have had for about 6 months. I came home today to do some work in the office. The Network connection light is out, the wireless light is out. The power light is still on.

It wont respond via its Ip address, and wont let me do a factory rest nether. When i try the power light just flickers slightly ( and i mean slight ).

Any ideas be really good thanks

jon
Message 1 of 94

Re: WN802T is it dead???

What IP address? The default IP address or the IP address that was given by the DHCP server?

Are you plugged into the access point?
Message 2 of 94
gyc_uk
Aspirant

hiya

its http://192.168.0.233/index.html.

its not replying to nothing. i done everything i can think. the Power light is on but flickers slight. When u do a factory rest, it dont change from green.

regards

jon
Message 3 of 94

If you can't communicate with the access point by pinging it logging into the interface after a reset, it is probably dead.

Make sure your computer is on the same network.
Message 4 of 94
johnwelter
Novice

Very odd, my WN802T died exactly the same way yours did on Oct 1st.... Perhaps this is a firmware issue.

Only the power LED is on, with a slight flicker to it. Can't reset. Can't connect to it. It is a pretty brick.

Did Linksys have any words of advice or RMA it?

John

gyc_uk wrote:
Hiya guys,

Is my access point dead?

I have a WN802T, which i have had for about 6 months. I came home today to do some work in the office. The Network connection light is out, the wireless light is out. The power light is still on.

It wont respond via its Ip address, and wont let me do a factory rest nether. When i try the power light just flickers slightly ( and i mean slight ).

Any ideas be really good thanks

jon
Message 5 of 94
cgnschuec
Novice

I got even two of those new bricks now :mad:
One went dead 1-2 weeks ago the other one like 2-3 days.
Finally searched this forum and am worried that that actually the same happen to other guys, too.
Anyone contacted the support already and got a reply?

Ciao,

cgnschuec
Message 6 of 94
bpfinch
Novice

I have a WN802T that is showing the same exact symtoms. It just started about 2 hours ago.
Message 7 of 94
cgnschuec
Novice

Here´s my current status from the support request. I am afraid they reacted in German.
But basically they needed two days to again ask me for a reset though I described that resetting didn´t help.
I´ll keep you posted.

Cgnschuec

------------------------------------------------------------------

10/22/2007 10:39:00 AM
Beide WN802T sind innerhalb der letzten Tage ausgefallen und regieren nicht auf reset oder power down - restart.
Es leuchtet durchgehend die grüne Power-LED. Ethernet und Wireless LED bleiben stets dunkel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10/23/2007 3:32:00 PM
Sehr geehrter Herr Schuette!

Vielen Dank, daß Sie sich an den NETGEAR Support gewandt haben.

Falls Sie es noch nicht getan haben, resetten Sie den Router bitte folgendermaßen:

Der Reset sollte im eingeschaltenen Zustand durchgeführt werden: Drücken Sie den Resetknopf auf der Rückseite für 30 Sekunden mit einem spitzen Gegenstand (Kugelschreiber/Büroklammer)
Danach ziehen Sie das Stromkabel des Access Points für 10 Sekunden aus der Steckdose und stecken es danach wieder zurück.

Zur Zeit werden mehrere Anfragen von ihnen simultan bearbeitet.
Zur Vereinfachung werde ich die Anfragen # 5902800 und # 5903057 schliessen und wuerde Sie bitten zukuenftig Ihre weiteren Anfragen unter diese Casen Nr. : # 5903119
zu stellen.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Netgear Support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10/24/2007 4:05:00 PM
Wie bereits erwähnt habe ich verschiedene reset Prozeduren bereits ausprobiert.
Ich habe auch beide WN802T nochmals nach Ihrer Methode resettet. Diese zeigen keinerlei Reaktion oder Veränderung.
Es scheint sich hierbei definitv um ein schwerwiegenderes und nicht verzeinzeltes Phänomen zu handeln.

Siehe auch: http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=15126

Ich bitte um kurzfristige Stellungnahme.

Mit besten Grüssen,

Christian Schütte
Message 8 of 94

If you have a device that appears to be dead, call into tech support and create a case. If you have done that and have not received a replacement, please let me know what the reasoning for not getting a replacement and PM me your case number.
Message 9 of 94
cgnschuec
Novice

I have done exectly that. Case number is in my post.
I´ll await response from tech support. No comment on replacement yet.

I posted for the same reason as given by you to invite others to contact tech support as there doesn´t seem to be an easy solution.
Message 10 of 94

Ok cgnschuec I see the case number. For all others, please PM me with the case number.
Message 11 of 94

Oh and just to be clear, we are not talking about emailing support. We are talking about calling into support. If you have a device under hardware warranty, you can still call in to get a replacement even though the only troubleshooting you will get is basic (to determine if device is faulty, no configuration help).
Message 12 of 94
cgnschuec
Novice

To get it right - if I don´t phone up nobody will recommend or approve a replacement? 😄
Message 13 of 94

Right 😄

They may approve it but it will take longer.
Message 14 of 94
cgnschuec
Novice

Re: Connectivity Issue ResolvedRe: WN802T is it dead???

I´d still be interested if there is a general problem - you might be aware of -with the WN802T, e.g. overheating or current firmware.
It seems more then odd that all of a sudden in October this year so many of those seem to be dead - I got even two within days.
Message 15 of 94

I am not aware of any issues but it possibly could be a bad batch. Were your serial numbers similar?
Message 16 of 94
cgnschuec
Novice

Yep - both starting with 1kw16bl- then one is 90066e and the other is f00600
Message 17 of 94
bpfinch
Novice

My Serial# starts with 1KV373. It does not look like the same batch as yours.
Message 18 of 94
bpfinch
Novice

I opened a case online this morning. It is 5917539. If I get some time tomorrow I will call phone support like you recommended.
Message 19 of 94

Let me know how it goes.
Message 20 of 94
cgnschuec
Novice

Phone support in Switzerland told me they send the case to their engineers and will soon let me know if it's defect and I'd get a replacement - let's see how long this will take.

Cheers, cgnschuec
Message 21 of 94
cgnschuec
Novice

Unbelievable but true - Support asked me to again ping and reset in a different manner: 10sec switched off and then 10sec switched on.
It seems nobody really nows what resets a WN802T :mad:

Have been asked to contact phone support which I did already. 😄

Let´s see what kind of diagnosis the "engineers" make out of it and hope that this tactic of gaining time once comes to an end.

Really poor and slow support so far.
Message 22 of 94
Zeus_2007
Novice

Same here.

Died yesterday, 10/25/07.
Serial starts with 1KV371........

I'm an old network admin, so I ran through all the steps of trying to get into it. (Such as directly connecting to it with a static IP already in place, etc, etc...you old network hacks like me understand)

Talked with tech support, my unit is still under hardware warranty, they asked me a dozen questions which were nearly insulting as it was clearly obvious that I knew more about networking than the guy I was talking to. No worries though, they have a process and they must go through it, I can respect that! Plus, the guy was extremly nice. Netgear has a great offshore firm handling their customer service, my hat's off to them.

At the end of the story, they RMA'd my unit.
Message 23 of 94

Thanks Zeus_2007

This is what I am trying to get to. For those of you having issues, you need to call into tech support and create a case. If it is a power issue, the device can be replaced under warranty. If you have created a case for what you perceive to a power issue or has not been determined what the case is, PM me your case number.

cgnschuec- You have a PM.
Message 24 of 94
bpfinch
Novice

Even more important to me that getting this unit replaced is knowing if this is a known issue or trend. I bought 10 of these for a project. I have deployed 4 so far. I cannot have these in the field if they are prone to failure. In the forums it does not look like there is any mention of the WN802T failing previously and now in this thread people are starting to have problems. Can we find out why this is happening?

Thanks,
Brian
Message 25 of 94
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7