× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNCE2001 setup problems

EricRFMA
Aspirant

WNCE2001 setup problems

Greetings, sources of all knowledge...!

Here's the scenario:

iMac G4 (700Mhz), read: Old. Mac OS X 10.4.11
Wireless networks (2 different ones were involved in this story)
Netgear WNCE2001

Preamble:

I got this gadget so I could give my mom an old iMac G4 and have her be able to connect to the wireless network in her house using the wireless router supplied to them by Verizon FIOS (model unknown at the moment).

I can connect to their network just fine using my laptop (Mac Book Pro, Mac OS 10.5).

Part 1:
At home, I successfully set up the WNCE2001 so that the iMac connected to my wireless network, with minor glitches. One odd thing (or maybe misunderstanding) was that I never was able to get to "advanced settings" by going to the URL specified in the instructions. Whenever I entered that URL, I always got to the starting page for the WNCE2001 setup. But I was able to access the network, so that wasn't a big stumbling block.

Part 2:
At my parent's house, things were different. I had all the settings for the wireless network on my laptop (which was happily connected to the wireless network with no problems), which I used to set up the WNCE2001. The WNCE2001 setup indicated there was 50-70% signal strength to the wireless network there. I went through the setup and eventually got to the "You are now connected to [network name]", and all was well and good.

However, trying to access a page on the internet from there yielded a "You are not connected to the internet" error. Indeed, the IP address at that time was self-assigned by the Mac.

Trying to get back to the initial setup page to the WNCE2001 again was difficult. I had to use various combinations of rebooting the Mac and resetting the WNCE2001 until finally the setup page came up again, and I went through the entire process again. During the setup, the IP address the Mac had was 192.168.1.100 (I believe), which it got from the WNCE2001 via DHCP. But as soon as setup was completed, apparently successfully, the IP address would go back to a self-assigned one and I'd have to try the whole process again, which never succeeded because the IP address always ended up a self-assigned one.

Other possibly relevant info:
Other wireless networks in the area were on the common channels of 6 & 11, so I changed ours to channel 4. That didn't help.

Encryption was enabled and was 128bit WPA2 (I believe... doing this by memory at the moment).

Since the WNCE2001 setup reports a successfully connection, I'm guessing that the problem is the IP address somehow gets changed after setup is complete.

But you folks would know better.

Hope someone can help...

Thanks!

-Eric
Message 1 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNCE2001 setup problems

Encryption was enabled and was 128bit WPA2 (I believe... doing this by memory at the moment).

bad memory.. there isn't 128bit for WPA... it is 128bit WEP and hackable one unless you are using WPA2

setup static IP on mac using "DHCP with manual address" also try public DNS on mac side as well
Message 2 of 14
EricRFMA
Aspirant

For a static IP address, should I use 192.168.100.1?

Any idea why the IP address changes to self-assigned in the first place? Is that a known problem?

Thanks!
Message 3 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Outside DHCP range of router
Message 4 of 14
EricRFMA
Aspirant

Thanks again for your replies!

Two followup questions, just to clarify...

When you say the "address is outside of the range of the router", do you mean the Verizon FIOS-supplied router?

Also, what should I choose as a static IP address? Will the WNCE2001 respond no matter what I pick? Is it dependent on the settings on the Verizon FIOS-supplied router (which I can examine and change if necessary?)

Thanks!

-Eric
Message 5 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

When you say the "address is outside of the range of the router", do you mean the Verizon FIOS-supplied router?

is there other device does DHCP? ask yourself. 🙂

Also, what should I choose as a static IP address? Will the WNCE2001 respond no matter what I pick? Is it dependent on the settings on the Verizon FIOS-supplied router (which I can examine and change if necessary?)

I did say out side of DHCP range. also long as you use outside of DHCP range then it will be based on your how you range the DHCP
Message 6 of 14
EricRFMA
Aspirant

jmizoguchi wrote:
is there other device does DHCP? ask yourself. 🙂

I did say out side of DHCP range. also long as you use outside of DHCP range then it will be based on your how you range the DHCP

I did ask myself that, but didn't know if the WNCE2001 acted as a DHCP server. Since when I configure the WNCE2001 I don't have access to any other DHCP server at the time (since I can't access the wireless network yet), I surmised that the address had to come from the WNCE2001, and not from the Verizon FIOS-supplied router, since I couldn't imagine how I'd have access to that router's DHCP server at that time.

I still can't imagine how I could get a DHCP-supplied address from the Verizon router while I'm only just configuring the WNCE2001. Or am I missing something here? If the WNCE2001 is supplying the IP address via DHCP, then I don't know its DHCP range.

In any case I'll try some static IP addresses until I find one that works.

Thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Login the verizon router and adjust dhcp

If you have issue contact ISP on how to access and where to change LAN DHCP
Message 8 of 14
EricRFMA
Aspirant

Here's what I did to finally get this working...

First, there wasn't an issue with the IP address range. The router was already configured to an IP range of 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.254.1. So the address presumably supplied by the WNCE2001 (192.168.100.1) to the iMac was AOK. Trying to set a static IP address on the iMac only made things worse, so I stuck with DHCP.

What I did change was the encryption from WEP 128-bit to WPA2. When I did that, everything suddenly worked.

I can only presume that the configuration setup for the WNCE2001 reports a successful connection even if the connection fails for certain reasons.

Hopefully this will help someone else out who has a similar problem.
Message 9 of 14
Hughesco
Aspirant

I found this forum while attempting to configure the WNCE for a special need. This post did not help much, however, since it comes to the top in Google for "wnce2001 static" or "wnce2001 setup", I thought I'd share my experience. Wanting to give my modded XBOX classic freedom from the CAT6 leash, I picked up this little gem. My home network is behind a Linux Firewall/Router with static assignments in the LAN. Configuring a wireless access point to not give out DHCP and allow all the wireless devices to use the same LAN subnet as the wired PC's is a little out of the norm for most wireless router setups. Anyhow, back to the WNCE2001. I connected it to my laptop (had to set Network card to get DHCP, that's what the WNCE gives out) and went to configure it. Not as straight forward as the manual might indicate. The WNCE gave my laptop a DHCP address, however, when I attempted to configure the device through it's web interface, it kept redirecting me to the setup wizard (Firmware Version 1.0.0.25). I figured out, the device is likely detecting it's lack of connection to the wireless router and pushing to connect to it. I could not figure out how to bypass this wizard, it kept failing at the point of getting an IP address. http://mywifiext.com/start.htm will quite likely bypass the wizard and show the current settings allowing access to the advanced config. I could not use WPS, as it depends on the connecting device to be configured with a static IP (not possible in the wizard) or your wireless access point must give out DHCP (mine does not). Another way to get past the wizard, while a little hassle, is to configure the access point to give a few DHCP addresses to the LAN (temporarily). Then you can get through the wizard. With your access point giving out DHCP you can manually configure with the wizard or use WPS if your AP supports it. Finally able to get at the advanced configuration select IP Address Setup from the menu. I configured the device with a static IP address, giving it the LAN's gateway and DNS. Once the configuration change saves, the WNCE gives the device connected to it (my laptop) a new IP, mine gave 1 octet increment from what it's own IP was configured for (I set the WNCE for 192.168.200.15, it gave my laptop 192.168.200.16). You'd think this was the success at last, oh no! My LAN gateway/DNS is the Linux firewall 192.168.200.1, yet the wireless AP LAN address (allows access to the AP web configuration) is 192.168.200.61, remember, this AP is just another device in the LAN, like a PC, it's WAN it not connected. Even though the WNCE was given a static IP and the LAN gateway/DNS of 192.168.200.1, it is connected to the AP which has a LAN IP of 192.168.200.61. So when the WNCE gives a DHCP to the device connected to it, it gives 192.168.200.61 as the gateway and DNS. This is wrong, the device connected to the WNCE is simply another device in the LAN and must use the 192.168.200.1 as a gateway and DNS to surf the net and the network for that matter. Easy enough, now that the WNCE is configured with a static IP in the LAN, the connected device can be returned to it's static IP, ignoring the DHCP the WNCE is giving it. Wee HA, success.

Even though this is a serious read, hopefully someone will get what they need.
Message 10 of 14
Hughesco
Aspirant

I found this forum while attempting to configure the WNCE for a special need. This post did not help much, however, since it comes to the top in Google for "wnce2001 static" or "wnce2001 setup", I thought I'd share my experience. Wanting to give my modded XBOX classic freedom from the CAT6 leash, I picked up this little gem. My home network is behind a Linux Firewall/Router with static assignments in the LAN. Configuring a wireless access point to not give out DHCP and allow all the wireless devices to use the same LAN subnet as the wired PC's is a little out of the norm for most wireless router setups. Anyhow, back to the WNCE2001. I connected it to my laptop (had to set Network card to get DHCP, that's what the WNCE gives out) and went to configure it. Not as straight forward as the manual might indicate. The WNCE gave my laptop a DHCP address, however, when I attempted to configure the device through it's web interface, it kept redirecting me to the setup wizard (Firmware Version 1.0.0.25). I figured out, the device is likely detecting it's lack of connection to the wireless router and pushing to connect to it. I could not figure out how to bypass this wizard, it kept failing at the point of getting an IP address. http://mywifiext.com/start.htm will quite likely bypass the wizard and show the current settings allowing access to the advanced config. I could not use WPS, as it depends on the connecting device to be configured with a static IP (not possible in the wizard) or your wireless access point must give out DHCP (mine does not). Another way to get past the wizard, while a little hassle, is to configure the access point to give a few DHCP addresses to the LAN (temporarily). Then you can get through the wizard. With your access point giving out DHCP you can manually configure with the wizard or use WPS if your AP supports it. Finally able to get at the advanced configuration select IP Address Setup from the menu. I configured the device with a static IP address, giving it the LAN's gateway and DNS. Once the configuration change saves, the WNCE gives the device connected to it (my laptop) a new IP, mine gave 1 octet increment from what it's own IP was configured for (I set the WNCE for 192.168.200.15, it gave my laptop 192.168.200.16). You'd think this was the success at last, oh no! My LAN gateway/DNS is the Linux firewall 192.168.200.1, yet the wireless AP LAN address (allows access to the AP web configuration) is 192.168.200.61, remember, this AP is just another device in the LAN, like a PC, it's WAN it not connected. Even though the WNCE was given a static IP and the LAN gateway/DNS of 192.168.200.1, it is connected to the AP which has a LAN IP of 192.168.200.61. So when the WNCE gives a DHCP to the device connected to it, it gives 192.168.200.61 as the gateway and DNS. This is wrong, the device connected to the WNCE is simply another device in the LAN and must use the 192.168.200.1 as a gateway and DNS to surf the net and the network for that matter. Easy enough, now that the WNCE is configured with a static IP in the LAN, the connected device can be returned to it's static IP, ignoring the DHCP the WNCE is giving it. Wee HA, success.

Even though this is a serious read, hopefully someone will get what they need.
Message 11 of 14
Hughesco
Aspirant

I found this forum while attempting to configure the WNCE for a special need. This post did not help much, however, since it comes to the top in Google for "wnce2001 static" or "wnce2001 setup", I thought I'd share my experience. Wanting to give my modded XBOX classic freedom from the CAT6 leash, I picked up this little gem. My home network is behind a Linux Firewall/Router with static assignments in the LAN. Configuring a wireless access point to not give out DHCP and allow all the wireless devices to use the same LAN subnet as the wired PC's is a little out of the norm for most wireless router setups. Anyhow, back to the WNCE2001. I connected it to my laptop (had to set Network card to get DHCP, that's what the WNCE gives out) and went to configure it. Not as straight forward as the manual might indicate. The WNCE gave my laptop a DHCP address, however, when I attempted to configure the device through it's web interface, it kept redirecting me to the setup wizard (Firmware Version 1.0.0.25). I figured out, the device is likely detecting it's lack of connection to the wireless router and pushing to connect to it. I could not figure out how to bypass this wizard, it kept failing at the point of getting an IP address. http://mywifiext.com/start.htm will quite likely bypass the wizard and show the current settings allowing access to the advanced config. I could not use WPS, as it depends on the connecting device to be configured with a static IP (not possible in the wizard) or your wireless access point must give out DHCP (mine does not). Another way to get past the wizard, while a little hassle, is to configure the access point to give a few DHCP addresses to the LAN (temporarily). Then you can get through the wizard. With your access point giving out DHCP you can manually configure with the wizard or use WPS if your AP supports it. Finally able to get at the advanced configuration select IP Address Setup from the menu. I configured the device with a static IP address, giving it the LAN's gateway and DNS. Once the configuration change saves, the WNCE gives the device connected to it (my laptop) a new IP, mine gave 1 octet increment from what it's own IP was configured for (I set the WNCE for 192.168.200.15, it gave my laptop 192.168.200.16). You'd think this was the success at last, oh no! My LAN gateway/DNS is the Linux firewall 192.168.200.1, yet the wireless AP LAN address (allows access to the AP web configuration) is 192.168.200.61, remember, this AP is just another device in the LAN, like a PC, it's WAN it not connected. Even though the WNCE was given a static IP and the LAN gateway/DNS of 192.168.200.1, it is connected to the AP which has a LAN IP of 192.168.200.61. So when the WNCE gives a DHCP to the device connected to it, it gives 192.168.200.61 as the gateway and DNS. This is wrong, the device connected to the WNCE is simply another device in the LAN and must use the 192.168.200.1 as a gateway and DNS to surf the net and the network for that matter. Easy enough, now that the WNCE is configured with a static IP in the LAN, the connected device can be returned to it's static IP, ignoring the DHCP the WNCE is giving it. Wee HA, success. Even though this is a serious read, hopefully someone will get what they need.
Message 12 of 14
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I want even read without paragraph.. just got dizzy looking at ... 🙂
Message 13 of 14
decypher01
Novice

Do a reset on your WNCE2001 connect the adapter again to your laptop (TURN OFF YOUR WIRELESS) if it is giving you 192.168.1.100 that's normal since the adapter provides that kind of IP, no need to set static on the LAN adapter just use Dynamic.

as soon as you connect to your main network thru the interface the WNCE2001 will provide a new IP range in line with your main router.
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7