× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WNDR4500 - Unable to spoof MAC & still get internet access

docwho
Aspirant

WNDR4500 - Unable to spoof MAC & still get internet access

I want to spoof my routers MAC address. When I spoof the address or choose to use my computers MAC I no longer have internet access.

I used a MAC generator to get a valid MAC address, and entered those into my WNDR4500. I then wasn't able to get internet access, after rebooting both computer and PC. I have already spoofed my NIC's address without problem. So then I decided to use my Computer's MAC option. I once again can't access the internet.

How do I spoof my router's MAC and still be able to access the interwebz. I am doing this just for fun and to learn more about networking.
Message 1 of 4
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Generating Mac address will cause the issues because ALL NIC has unique and very possbile that you may using Mac address that is used in ISP network that you will not able to get IP.

It should not use as FUN because it will cause other customer on same service can effect but you randomly choose to use 🙂
Message 2 of 4
docwho
Aspirant

I checked between 10 and 15 MACs before I gave up and posted this. I never thought about other customers, but learning is fun. Doesn't my router MAC get encapsulated by my neighborhood connection before going out? The odds of someone in my neighborhood having the same MAC is slim.

When I remove the router out of the equation and dangerously hook directly to the docsis modem I am able to connect with a spoofed MAC.

So it is definately a problem within the router. I am curious to see what happens when I flash DD-WRT on it, but am not going to do that. I had done it before with a 3500 and had to reset it once or twice a month.

Learning is fun, and I will never stop having fun...

Any ideas on how to solve this. BTW my firmware is the stock one, 1.0.1.20, but I never update firmware unless it resolves a problem I am facing or for security reasons. The notes on the router show that the new firmware, 1.0.1.36_1.0.63, improves readyshare and machine backup. Both of which I could care less about.
Message 3 of 4
charm
Novice

Hi, since you already did that, lets hard reset your router again. for the question " does your ISP rewuire a log in: asnwer is NO. at the bottom most part about mac address, choose the 2nd option " use this computer mac address. Remember: have your modem connected to the WAN of the router, and router to your pc/laptop through LAN. leme know if it works 🙂
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7