× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNR1000v2 Connection dropping

proton777
Aspirant

WNR1000v2 Connection dropping

Hi.

I've had my WNR1000v2 for only a few months. It had been working fine until the past couple of weeks.

I'm not very well versed on this but here is my setup. I have Comcast cable modem feeding my main wired router - a Linksys BEFSR41 (or something). My home PCs are hard wired directly to the Linksys and access to that router setup is via a 192.168 URL. That was my setup for a couple of years.

A few months ago I added the Netgear wireless by taking an unused output of the Linksys and connecting that to the input of the Netgear wireless. Access to the wireless is via a 10.0 network.

Other than adding a password to the front door of the Netgear, and renaming it, nothing was changed. Pretty much everything is on default.

Again, this setup worked fine from when it was bought and installed a few months ago.

Now what's happening is, my wireless devices (I have 4) won't connect sometimes. They can see the Netgear router, with plenty of RF signal strength, but they just say "obtaining IP address". All of them can't connect.

Rebooting the router "fixes" the problem about half the time. It often requires a second reboot, then an hour later, my devices won't connect again. If this happens at night and I don't reboot, sometimes the next morning it will be working again without rebooting.

Two changes I made in attempt to fix this: I installed the latest available firmware upgrade last night (November 20). I don't remember the version.

The other change was unchecking the box that says "Use router has DHCP", or something to that effect. I read somewhere that this can be turned off when used in my situation where there is a wired router in front of this.

Anyway, neither of these two changes cured the problem. Sometime overnight after making these changes, it's dropped again. No connection again this morning.

When this problem is happening, my hardwired PCs are still able to connect to the internet, so it's not my connection or wired Linksys router.

My next step is to do a factory reset. Then replace it.

Does anyone have any suggestions I might try?

Thanks
Message 1 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: WNR1000v2 Connection dropping

You have setup wrong for two router install

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965

setup 2nd unit as access point for properly setup. Rest the netgear unit and follow the URL to work the best
Message 2 of 10
proton777
Aspirant

A couple of other bits of information....

After doing more reading, it appears that the way I'm using my wireless router, it's technically an Access Point. Unchecking the box for DHCP should be correct (which didn't help)

I also read on a message board that before doing a firmware upgrade, it's advisable to do a factory reset first. Is this a fact?

Another thing I saw is that firmware upgrades shouldn't be done wirelessly. I didn't realize that since when I went to the router setup page, it just said an upgrade is available so I did it.
Message 3 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Reset the router after flashing firmware
Message 4 of 10
proton777
Aspirant

jm, thanks for your response. There seems to be a delay between when a post is submitted and when it appears.

I found this article on the Netgear website:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19852

Yours is much more detailed but poses some questions.

When you say reset, are you saying factory reset or just a power reset?

In Step 5 on the first page of your link, it says to change the IP address of the AP. I assume I should give the AP a static IP of 192.168.1.99, assuming that is outside of the DHCP range of my wired router? If not, I'll need to limit the range on my WIRED router so it won't include the .99 address.

In Step 8 it says to configure the SSID. Since that has already been set up and working, there should not be an issue with that unless doing a factory reset.

I think my biggest problem was connecting my LAN to the wireless router via it's WAN connection. Not LAN. Connection.

I'll give this a try when I get home. You've been a big help. Thanks very much.
Message 5 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

When you say reset, are you saying factory reset or just a power reset?

when reset is said.. it is NOT power reset...

Power cycle is the right terminology as to power reset.
Message 6 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

WNR1000 is doesn't belongs to extender. It is wireless N router

belongs to http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33
Message 7 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 8 of 10
proton777
Aspirant

Yeah, I realized I posted in the wrong section after my initial post. I saw another WNR1000 post here and thought this was right.

So based on my hardware not being an extender, are your instructions not correct for what I am doing?
Message 9 of 10
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Categories is based on model not what you are setting for so yes, wrong location
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7