× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wired connections to AX1800 not working...

mikey59
Guide

Wired connections to AX1800 not working...

I've got an AX1800 connected to my Nighthawk mesh network & cannot get anything to connect via the LAN ports on it.

WHY?!?!?

Before I 'upgraded' to this mesh system, I had a WN2000RPT that was connected to a WNDR3700v5 that worked all the time, every time.

The wired computer isn't getting an IP address (which it had no problem with on the old stuff!) - is there some place that I need to change settings to allow DHCP to pass through to it? I didn't see any option to have the AX1800 act as a DHCP server...

Message 1 of 13
plemans
Guru

Properly identifying your devices can help. 

AX1800 is a speed, not a model. 

So you put you have a mesh system too. 

So what router/mesh system do you have? 

What AX1800 did you add? A router? A satellite? An extender?

And how did you set it up? Using the app? using the installation assistant through the browser? 

Using push button setup? 

Details are key and we're not there to see what you have and what you've done so make sure to be detailed. 
Also, if its a new device, you have a 90 days of support free that you can call in and use. 

Message 2 of 13
mikey59
Guide

Sorry about all the missing info, but I have a Nighthawk Advanced Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System (MK72)– AX3000 Router with 1 Satellite Extender & an EAX20 range extender.

The Nighthawk system, IIRC, I set up using the phone app.

I bought the EAX20 to set up on my workbench in the garage for when I have to set up Point of Sale computers & I set that up my logging into it via the IP address, which brings another question, how can I give that a static address?

I'm way beyond the 90 day support window, so I find myself here.

Everything has the latest firmware, too.

One other thing, the phone app seems to keep every single computer or device that has ever connected to it in the device manager, while it only shows 8 devices connected, there are 70 other devices listed in there that show as being offline. I have deleted the app, along with the data & reinstalled, but all that stuff remains.

How do I get rid of it & keep it from coming back?

Thanks!

Message 3 of 13
plemans
Guru

@mikey59 wrote:

Sorry about all the missing info, but I have a Nighthawk Advanced Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System (MK72)– AX3000 Router with 1 Satellite Extender & an EAX20 range extender.

The Nighthawk system, IIRC, I set up using the phone app.

I bought the EAX20 to set up on my workbench in the garage for when I have to set up Point of Sale computers & I set that up my logging into it via the IP address,---> is it hardwired in? If so, did you set it up in access point mode? Or is it in extender mode with it separated by some distance? what does its status page show?  which brings another question, how can I give that a static address?--->You'd do that in the MK73's setup page. I'd probably just use a reserved IP address. Easier to setup 

Everything has the latest firmware, too.---Does it? Tough to know 100% as the auto-updates don't always have the latest. Without numbers and looking it up, I'm never confident of that. 

One other thing, the phone app seems to keep every single computer or device that has ever connected to it in the device manager, while it only shows 8 devices connected, there are 70 other devices listed in there that show as being offline. I have deleted the app, along with the data & reinstalled, but all that stuff remains.

How do I get rid of it & keep it from coming back?---> its a bit of a bunk system. You have to basically reset the whole system. I prefer to just use the GUI for management. 

Thanks!

Message 4 of 13
mikey59
Guide

EAX20 is not hard wired in - if I had a cable drop out there, I would have just plugged everything into a switch & been done with it. Access point would have required a cable to it, right?

Status page shows Your WiFi extender connection is up and running.

Firmware version on router & satellite is V1.0.3.34, extender is V1.0.1.64_1.0.104
The house is about 2000 sq ft & everything is less than 50 ft apart, separated by sheetrock walls,

Message 5 of 13
plemans
Guru

and your MK system is able to see it connected? 

You're able to access it using its IP address? 

Are you able to log into the device and see if anythings been disabled. I don't have my EAX80 running right now but I thought there was a means of disabling the ethernet ports. It also has an access control. Maybe somethings been changed there

Message 6 of 13
plemans
Guru

Just to test it, I connected my EAX80 to my RBE973S to see if it had any issues with ethernet. None at all. Once setup (using the assistant) ethernet worked fine and I could max out its gigabit connections. 

So a few more questions. 

1. What modem/gateway is the MK system connected to? 

2. Got a screensnip of your extenders status page? 

3. The wireless connections work fine on the extender? 

4. Did you check the access control, scheduling, etc within the extender? 

Message 7 of 13
mikey59
Guide

Yes, yes & yes.

Going through the setup again, using smart setup & when asking me what wireless network I want to extend, I have 2 entries for my wireless network under 2.4 & 5G networks, both using the same security. The only difference is the signal strength, which is 100% & 91% on the top one & 52% & 56% on the one underneath that.

If it matters, the EAX20 is less than 10 ft from the router as I'm going through this,

I was trying to get the EAX 20 to operate in 2.4GHz only, thinking that my WN2000RPT was only 2.4GHz & it actually worked!

Another head scratcher is that it probably had more obstructions in the way, I can get the EAX20 set up only with 2.4GHz, but once I move it out to the garage,it looses connection!

Message 8 of 13
plemans
Guru

Are you using fastlane? If so, set if for the 5ghz to run as backhaul. it has much higher throughput (speeds). 

Message 9 of 13
mikey59
Guide

I have reset the thing to factory settings & started over & STILL NO LAN CONNECTIONS - WHY?

What would fastlane have to do with it?

I had read in other posts about this issue that the LAN ports don't work over 5GHz, so I used that (fastlane) to try different combinations & eventually setting everything on the extender to be running at 2.4, but it can't connect to my router at 2.4GHz

The LAN light on the extender is solid & I've even tried assigning a static address to the computer.

Message 10 of 13
plemans
Guru

Is the EAX new? If so, might contact support. You get 90 days of free support from date of purchase. Not sure exactly what to tell you. I don't have those specific router/extender combination and the closest I can come (RBK system with EAX80) work fine for me. 

Maybe the EAX20 is bad. 

maybe the MK system isn't handling it properly. 

Might stick one of the satellites out there to see how well that works. 

Funny enough the EAX20 costs about $100 on amazon. The MK72 system costs $130 (used about $100). You could pickup that system and just use the satellite for in the garage and keep the router for a backup. Then you wouldn't be fighting to make an extender work with a mesh system. 

Message 11 of 13
mikey59
Guide

It was new, when I bought it off of ebay last July. I did get the 2 year protection plan, so I'm gonna return it for exchange or money. Depending on what I get, I may try another one or I may just break down & have a drop added to the garage, along with drops behind the TVs, to have all shat stuff hard wired.

Message 12 of 13
shopia3
Aspirant

• Ensure that the Ethernet cables are securely plugged into both the router's LAN ports and the devices you're trying to connect.
    • Inspect the Ethernet cables for any signs of damage or wear, and replace them if necessary.
    • Try using different Ethernet ports on the router to rule out a faulty port.
  1. Restart the Router:

• Sometimes, a simple router reboot can resolve connectivity issues. Unplug the router from the power source, wait for about 30 seconds, and then plug it back in.
    • Allow the router a few minutes to fully restart and establish connections.
    • infopulsepro
Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series