× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless Setup Issue - WPS in Progress

GBfromSEA
Aspirant

Wireless Setup Issue - WPS in Progress

I'm a consultant. I was trying to setup a WNR3500 (I believe that was the model - just purchased today at Bestbuy) and it wouldn't allow me to save any changes to the SSID field or WPA security settings. It gave me the cryptic message "WPS in Progress." I tried pushing the WPS to hopefully clear it and I tried powering off and on twice. The wireless worked okay but left them with an open network and stuck with an SSID of "NETGEAR." Please give me some steps to get the router to new wireless setting.
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Re: Wireless Setup Issue - WPS in Progress

WPS does not clear

WPS is easier to setup with WPS compatible Wireless adapter.

so WPS and regular encryption connection works in two ways. ONLY the SSID are obviously same.

make sure you are using PC with IE browser ...
Message 2 of 7
GBfromSEA
Aspirant

I was using IE. It allowed me to make other changes to it, like I was able to setup the password and pick the IP range. It just would not allow me to save any changes to the Wireless Setup without giving me the message actual text was "WPS process is in progress, please apply the changes later." The WPS light was steady green. So do I have a defective unit or what?
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

It just would not allow me to save any changes to the Wireless Setup without giving me the message actual text was "WPS process is in progress,

assuming this is wifi device side?

try avoid the setup and get out where you are at. Go to the netgear utility after you exit out and re-scan the network and try to connect.
Message 4 of 7
j16384
Novice

GBfromSEA wrote:
I'm a consultant. I was trying to setup a WNR3500 (I believe that was the model - just purchased today at Bestbuy) and it wouldn't allow me to save any changes to the SSID field or WPA security settings. It gave me the cryptic message "WPS in Progress." I tried pushing the WPS to hopefully clear it and I tried powering off and on twice. The wireless worked okay but left them with an open network and stuck with an SSID of "NETGEAR." Please give me some steps to get the router to new wireless setting.

This is incredibly irritating, isn't it? Netgear really ought to fix this problem, or provide a better error message.

WPS is an automated mated procedure-- you press a button on the router, and on the client device, and the two devices automatically mate (sort of like bluetooth). The problem is that the router seems to think that someone has initiated a WPS procedure even when you haven't. Until the WPS procedure is canceled, it doesn't allow you to update any of the settings.

I found I could work around the problem by following these steps:

1. Use the web interface to initiate a WPS process
e.g. Click "Add WPS client" on the menu, then click the button to start the process

2. Cancel the WPS process
e.g. Click the cancel button on the admin web page

3. Now go and edit your router settings.

The above steps worked for me with my WNR2000
Message 5 of 7
katiev
Aspirant

j16384 wrote:
This is incredibly irritating, isn't it? Netgear really ought to fix this problem, or provide a better error message.

WPS is an automated mated procedure-- you press a button on the router, and on the client device, and the two devices automatically mate (sort of like bluetooth). The problem is that the router seems to think that someone has initiated a WPS procedure even when you haven't. Until the WPS procedure is canceled, it doesn't allow you to update any of the settings.

I found I could work around the problem by following these steps:

1. Use the web interface to initiate a WPS process
e.g. Click "Add WPS client" on the menu, then click the button to start the process

2. Cancel the WPS process
e.g. Click the cancel button on the admin web page

3. Now go and edit your router settings.

The above steps worked for me with my WNR2000

Hi, thanks for the simplified response. I have an N600 (WNDR3400) that worked fine, up until I got my windows 8 Samsung Laptop. The two devices work well independently, not so much together. Other devices stay connected to the network fine, win8 laptop gets kicked off every 4-5 minutes... incredibly annoying when you're trying to stream audio or video...!

So, in order to get anything done, I'm stuck stationary so I can hardwire in. GeekSquad gave me some misc. advice to open up the NAT... (?) and I logged in and reset it to fact settings. Now my network is open (yay), and I cannot name network or set up WEP password.

I just followed the steps above, and while the light goes solid, as soon as I update the settings in wireless and 'apply' I get the same message: 'WPS process is in progress, please apply the changes later.'

Even if I do that, I'm sure the wireless connection issues between windows 8 laptop and netgear n600 router will continue.
Are you able to shed any light on either of these two issues?

Thoroughly annoyed in columbus, ohio--

Katie
Message 6 of 7
bfaulk1
Aspirant

On the target! Just bought a WNDR4300 and was in emergency mode so put it in asap with the defaults. After my network stabilized I got busy bending it to my preferred set up and ran into this issue. Your directions were perfect. I am now smiling rather than swearing. Now I can watch the football games tomorrow!

Thanks Bill
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7