× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Wireless extender security on an open wifi

igorness
Aspirant

Wireless extender security on an open wifi

I am currently using the A6200 adapter for my desktop in an apartment building with open wifi. The router is in the management office and I have no control. I have a firewall but  many people here on open channels. I want to get the EX3700 extender for more the security features than coverage. I plan on using the ethernet port to my machine instead of the wireless. Will or will this not protect my machine better? Netgear support says it won't. My internet provider Cox says it will.

Model: EX3700|N600 WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
igorness
Aspirant

Problem solved. It works perfectly with the Cisco access point. Even the Cox internet support phone/chat /person who came by said that it wouldn't work. CluelessLOL.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

I dont beleive extenders offer firewall protection. 

Message 2 of 6
igorness
Aspirant

I already use the Zone Alarm Firewall. I was refering to the WEP/WPA security password thing. Thanks.

Message 3 of 6
igorness
Aspirant

More info. So I found out today after 10 phone calls and chats and a visit from my internet provider(Cox) that the aprtment building system is an Arris modem/router hardwired to a Cisco outdoor "access point" Aircap 1532 E. I''m using the A6200 adapter currently to get internet with no problem. I'm getting conflicting answers from everyone involved. Cisco phone, Netgear phone(India) and chat, Cox chat and phone and serviceman at my door. Netgear on the phone seemed to think it would work because the access point and the extender are both dual band and since the adpter works, the extender should too. They said something about the DHCP function which I know nothing about. Cox serviceman said it wouldn't work. I bought it anyway from Newegg for $38.50. Any takers on the question as to whether it will work? I'm calling Cisco again tomorrow.

Message 4 of 6
igorness
Aspirant

Problem solved. It works perfectly with the Cisco access point. Even the Cox internet support phone/chat /person who came by said that it wouldn't work. CluelessLOL.

Message 5 of 6
GearNetRouter
Virtuoso

Support these days is someone reading from a script. It wasn't in the playbook so they told you no to get you off the phone. Lunch or a break was waiting.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7