× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ex7700 is NOT seamless mesh

wirerammer
Aspirant

ex7700 is NOT seamless mesh

Hi,

i got a r7800 as router and an ex7700 in wifi range extender mode.

Tried in various ways to get those working in seamless mesh, as advised on the extender, but without success.

I can't move between my house while doing a facetime, whatsapp or almost any web call app whitout losing connection and not reconetting until going back in the range of the router/extender where i have started the call.

Skype works but it's just because it simply disconnect and reconnect, it could work also with any other network in range.

Frustrating.

Tried almost any firmware on both ends; tried moving positions; tried a lot of times hard reset both and setup from zero; tried using ip reservation, for extender, for devices, for both; tried changing wifi channels on both ends;  tried using the modem connected to the r7800 in bridge mode or not.

In my opinion the issue is related to virtual mac address and the net protocols involved in live calls on the web.

Is there anything else that i could try?

Thanks.

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: ex7700 is NOT seamless mesh

What modem/gateway do you have? 

what firmware is on the R7800?

And firmware on the EX7700?

How big is your home and what materials is the interior made of? 

Also, What device are you roaming with? This is key as its the device that decides to switch and not the extender/router. 

Are you using 2.4ghz or 5ghz during this? 2.4ghz is slower and more sensitive to interference. 

Message 2 of 10
wirerammer
Aspirant

-modem technicolor dga4132
-firmware r7800=1.0.2.80 ex7700=1.0.0.216
-walls are made of bricks and concrete and my house is about 150sq/m; this is the main reason that led me to buy an extender, there are black points where wifi signal drops, especially 5ghz. It happens in my kitchen where the signal from the router must pass practically 3 walls and drops really fast just turning an angle.
-tried iphone 11pro, xr, ipad 2, windows laptop. wifi signal is strong, extender get maximum speed from router both in 2.4 and 5ghz. And apart the not seamless experience, speeds on devices are good.
-router and extender are 10meters apart
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

the dga4132 is a modem/router combo device. 

Add in the R7800 and it can cause a double nat. 

Also, brick/concrete are literally 2 of the best blockers of wifi there is. The EX7700 is designed to use a 5ghz dedicated backhaul. And 5ghz is much more sensitive to materials and distance than 2.4ghz is. But 2.4ghz is much slower. 

so you're caught in a bit of a problem. Your home is made from materials that block wifi to a great extent. but you need wifi everywhere. Problem is wireless backhauls might not be feasible/usable in your home. You're welcome to try using several of them but many people resort to using a full mesh system and running a hardwired backhaul like ethernet, powerline, or moca adapters. 

Message 4 of 10
wirerammer
Aspirant

there is not double nat i have disabled it on dga4132 and it’s acting as a bridge. r7800 is doing all the job.
the 5ghz backhaul works as expected, signals result in maximum speed from extender status.

Message 5 of 10
wirerammer
Aspirant

and i add that i have granted an almost open space between the router and the extender. the “not seamless experience” (sorry i don’t have another word to sum up this) happens also in place where there is no big wifi signal drops,but just a change between the two networks.
Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

Not arguing that point.

but its not just the router and extender. the actual mobile device has to do the roaming and send/recieving. 

The phone/tablet uses its own set of protocols for when to roam/switch between the 2. Having the brick/concrete impacts the signal that its broadcasting and receiving so is going to throw off its roaming protocol. 

there isn't a good solution when you live in a home with brick/concrete

Message 7 of 10
wirerammer
Aspirant

i don’t understand; it happens also where the two signals are present, one better than the other; the phone switch,and the call drops. if i get back to the wifi where i started the call the call is restored. so it’s probably something that happens when the connection goes “out” of the lan.
a wifi signal analyzer that rec the signal strenghts in various spot handle well the switch and don’t drops
Message 8 of 10
plemans
Guru

Try installing the .206 firmware for the EX7700. I know the .210 version had issues but I haven't seen much on the newer version. 

Message 9 of 10
DavidRC
Apprentice

Are you using IPv6? I have an EX7700 and when I move from the EX7700 Wifi to the router (Fritzbox 7530) Wifi or vice versa I lose IPv6 connectivity but IPv4 is fine. I have disabled (strictly speaking not enabled) IPv6 on the router and everything is fine. 

Model: EX7700|AC2200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Mesh Extender
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7