× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
× Introducing the new Orbi 770 Series Mesh System. To learn more click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

looking for suggestion for extender

pjh1
Aspirant

looking for suggestion for extender

I am looking to extend a 2.4G and 5G network using the same SSID (do not want to create xyz_EXT).  Modem is an Arris T1672 and using both 2.4G and 5G networks.

Looking for recommendation for a WiFi Ranger Extender.  Looked at AC120 EX6150-100nas but manual suggests creating xyz_EXT SSID.

TIA

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: looking for suggestion for extender

According to this Knowledge Base article, you can use the same SSID. They just warn that performance may vary because it will be entirely up to the device to determine which signal (i.e. the modem's or the extender's) to lock onto. But that situation is likely to occur with different SSIDs if the device knows the passwords to them.

Note: The EX6150 is not listed as a product that the article applies to, but I would be surprised if it doesn't.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

According to this Knowledge Base article, you can use the same SSID. They just warn that performance may vary because it will be entirely up to the device to determine which signal (i.e. the modem's or the extender's) to lock onto. But that situation is likely to occur with different SSIDs if the device knows the passwords to them.

Note: The EX6150 is not listed as a product that the article applies to, but I would be surprised if it doesn't.

Message 2 of 3
pjh1
Aspirant

EX6150 worked great.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements