× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "The Extender was not able to connect to your existing network"

Alderon
Aspirant

"The Extender was not able to connect to your existing network"

My Netgear WN2500RP used to work perfectly. Then I went on a trip a month ago, when I came back, the network that I created for the extender could not connect to the internet, so I re-configured it.

I went to the GUI http://www.mywifiext.net as instructed in the manual, and I chose my router's main wireless network. I then entered the WIFI password as instructed, and waited for it to configure. However, I only got this message:

"The Extender was not able to connect to your existing network.
Please re-enter the passphrase and try again."

I kept trying a number of times, but always the same thing. Turned the extender on and off and did it again, still the same thing; reset extender, still the same thing.

The 2 green arrows, indicating the extender is connected to the router, is on; but there is no internet connection from the extender's network and I kept getting this error message over and over again.

My network hardware setup hasn't changed. Same router and everything else, it worked all well before but now this.

Any ideas?
Message 1 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

If you lifted power while you on trip any power surge could have damaged or something
Message 2 of 7
Alderon
Aspirant

A power surge is definitely not the cause.

I disconnected the extender's power cable before I left. And while I didn't do the same for the router, the router seems completely functional.
Message 3 of 7
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Then that would be mystery to say 🙂
Message 4 of 7
QNET100
Aspirant

I have had the exact same issue recently. I went on a trip in early Dec/12, unplugged the extender and then came back and could not get it working. I have tried several times over 4-6 hours and over several days and still it is not working. I am now looking at a different brand of extender.
Message 5 of 7
Anelu
Aspirant

The green light goes on to my extender but every time I try to enter my key code it says there is no match to my current router.
Message 6 of 7
sent2null
Initiate

Okay I had the same problem and was able to fix it by simply "SKIP" ing the set up after getting the error message.

I then followed through with the set up of the EXT networks and both were created fine.

I was then able to attach wireless devices to the new networks.

I have no idea why this works as you would think that if it fails with the message indicated above that there is no way to continue but don't be fooled.

Hit "skip" and continue to set up the network and they just may work as it did for me with no issue.

It took me about 3 hours of trying to reconnect using the WPS (which didn't work) and doing it manually using the configuration site before just trying "skip" which worked.

GO figure!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7