× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: wg602v4 setup

npoe25
Aspirant

wg602v4 setup

Ok im trying to do the setup procees tht came with the instructions... I get to step 2a and it says enter 192.168.0.227 and i do but nothing happens! It talks about changing the static ip address and subnet mask but i have no clue what its talking about. All im tryin to do is make it a repeater as it says clearly on the box i can... i already have internet on my computer but i want to pick it up on my ps3. Please help
Message 1 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Setu static Ip on PC and hook ip directly to the wgxx

Message 2 of 19
npoe25
Aspirant

Anybody else? Like i said above i have no clue what the static ip and all that is! any step by step tutorials?
Message 3 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

npoe25 wrote:
Anybody else? Like i said above i have no clue what the static ip and all that is! any step by step tutorials?

google it...
Message 4 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Message 5 of 19
motatnet
Aspirant

Hi, I'm going to pile on this thread because I have the SAME TOPIC problem and figure might as well NOT add yet another thread about setting up the WG602v4. (frankly, there seems to be issues with this device.)

I have setup wireless routers typical of what an ISP provider sends. I have also wet up 1 nasty Canon wireless printer too. However, I'm about to return this 602 under warranty because I cannot get to Base 1 in the Setup. In fact, I don't think I'm even in the starting lineup.

Anyhow, my experience/problem:

OK, need to setup static IP 192.168.0.210 as per instructions.

I connect a single LAN cable from the PC (XPpro) to the 602.

I go into network properties TCP/IP and select manual IP address and set it to ...210 with a gateway of 255.255.255.0 as per the instructions.

Then I try to access the 602 via FF and IO both @ 192.168.0.227

NOTHING HAPPENS - no connection.

I've tried all the 192.168.1.1 etc. combinations for automatic IP router setup and that does not work either.

All the lights on the 602 illuminate which gives me the feeling that it is not broke but requires some bizarre set of parameters set to access it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

PS. I was hoping to find this out for myself by playing with the 602, but since I cannot access it, I'll ask if I can use it as follows: First, I'm not sure what I would call the application. "CLIENT?" Anyhow, I would like to connect it to a PC with a LAN wire and then have the 602 connect me to a wireless network. I would be using the 602 like a "wireless PCI card" for my PC. Will it do this?

I also have another application which I think is a BRIDGE where I have two isolated wired networks and I want to connect the two networks over a wireless connection. Network 1 already has a wireless router supplied by DSL provider. Network 2 would have a Switch connected to the 602. Is this something the 602 could do?

Thanks again in advance (!)
Tom

PPS. On, one more nasty thing happened. My DSL router was not wireless - just 4 LAN wire ports. After I was done trying to access the 602 with 2 or the 3 PC's on my network, neither could be reconnected to the original network! I thought all I would have to do would be to set IP to automatic and that would be all. Could not get either PC back to network. Tried for hours... Finally found a wireless router ISP provider has sent me as an upgrade that I never used. Installed it. And everything worked.

What in the world happened? It also makes me fearful of messing with the 602 since I didn't have network problems until I tried to access the 602. I don't think the 602 was ever connected to the original ISP router.

Thanks...
Message 6 of 19
Daedalus01
Aspirant

Try http://192.168.0.100, as the manual says. then again, my copy of the manual is from march 2010, so it might have changed.
Message 7 of 19
motatnet
Aspirant

First, I misspoke. 255.255.255.0 was the Subnet Mask, not the Gateway.

In fact, Gateway is NOT instructed to be set to anything according to the instructions. Here is the latest downloaded from the netgear site:

First, Set Up the WG602v4

1. CONNECT THE WIRELESS ACCESS POINT TO YOUR COMPUTER AND
MODEM

a. Unpack the box and verify the contents.

b. Prepare a PC with an Ethernet
adapter. If this PC is already part
of your network, record its TCP/IP
configuration settings. Configure
the PC with a static IP address of
192.168.0.210 and 255.255.255.0
as the Subnet Mask.

c. Connect an Ethernet cable from
the WG602v4 to the PC (point A).

d. Securely insert the other end of the
cable into the WG602v4 Ethernet
port (point B).

e. Connect the Power Adapter from
the WG602v4 to an AC power
outlet.

Note: Only connect your wireless access point using the power supply provided with the WG602v4.

f. Turn on your computer and verify the LED behavior on the front of the wireless access point.

• Power. The power light should be lit. If the power light is not lit,
check the connections and to see if the power outlet is controlled by a wall
switch that is turned off.
• Ethernet. The Ethernet (LAN) light on the WG602v4 should be lit
(amber for a 10 Mbps connection and green for a 100 Mbps connection). If
not, make sure the Ethernet cable is securely attached at both ends.
• WLAN. The wireless light should be lit.
Message 8 of 19
motatnet
Aspirant

Actually, I was just rereading the instructions yet again and I realized the Step 1 Heading: "1. CONNECT THE WIRELESS ACCESS POINT TO YOUR COMPUTER AND MODEM"

What in the world are they talking about when they say "...AND MODEM?"

That makes no sense at all.

This could be a translation problem in general or just bad technical writing???

Regards,
Tom
Message 9 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

In fact, Gateway is NOT instructed to be set to anything according to the instructions.

you do NOT need gateway to access the device when you setup static IP on pc
Message 10 of 19
motatnet
Aspirant

Just tried it on a Ubuntu Linux box and while it did not access the 602, the browser got "stuck" and did not get to the point where it gives up and says cannot open page.

I set the IP and mask and the 602 could not be accessed from two different XPpro PCs and the Ubuntu box.

I guess it is fubar.

I'll consider this a closed issue unless someone comes up with something to try.

Thanks
Tom
Message 11 of 19
Daedalus01
Aspirant

Have you tried holding the reset pin for 30-60 secs?
Message 12 of 19
motatnet
Aspirant

Yes, I did the reset pin. I can't say if I held it for 30-60 seconds, however. I guess I could try it again.
Message 13 of 19
Daedalus01
Aspirant

hitting the reset pin for a second or so usually doesn't wipe out the NVRAM, you usually have to hold it, and i recommend anywhere from 30-90 seconds.
Message 14 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

see rouer reset on my sig below.

0-60sec in various duration is for resetting
Message 15 of 19
Daedalus01
Aspirant

Right. Maybe something has buggered his config settings, which is why I am recommending a reset now before sending the device back. Its always best to reset, restart, and retry before sending the hardware off.
Message 16 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

support will never issue RMA until you do certain process and reset it ALWAYS #1 on the list. 🙂
Message 17 of 19
motatnet
Aspirant

SUCCESS!

Two things I attribute this to:

Also, did it on yet another PC, this one at the office.

NOW, I can really get into trouble. I hope Client Mode will let me use the unit (wired to PC) like a common PCI wireless card.

Thanks much for the Reset Guide !!

Regards
    Tom
Message 18 of 19
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Your welcome.. enjoy it.
Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies