× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Configure route to be in the same LAN (N600 WNDR3700)

YZ2029
Aspirant

Configure route to be in the same LAN (N600 WNDR3700)

Hi,

I have a Gateway router A (ProSafe (FVS336G) and a wireless router B (WNDR3700). My network topology is:

(WAN IP: 10.xxx.xx.xxx) A (LAN IP: 192.168.1.xxx) <---> (WAN IP: 192.168.1.xxx) B (LAN IP: 10.0.0.xxx) <---> wireless device (IP: 10.0.0.xxx)

The firmware on router B is V1.0.7.98NA.

Current topology works. Every device has access to the internet. However, I need to stream data or remotely log in from device (whose IP address is 192.168.1.xxx) to device connected to router B. Now it's hard to achieve this (if possible) because wireless device is behind the router B. I am a newbie in these internet protocal stuff. I did some research online and think my option is to disable the DHCP service on B and make it an access point.

However, when I go to the LAN setting pages of router B, and try to write the LAN IP as 192.168.1.xxx or try to uncheck "Use router as DHCP server", it reports conflict with WAN subnet IP. I understand it's obvious that on router B, I am setting its LAN IP in the same subnet as its WAN IP, which it's rediculous. But why unchecking the DHCP and make it an access point also doesn't work?

I also saw people mentioned in other posts that the issue is using B as a DNS server. They disabled it and it works. But I don't know how to do this.

I am not sure how to achieve my goal now. That is, making the ip address of every wireless device as 192.168.1.xxx, remaining in the same subnet of devices connected to A.  I sincerely appreciate any suggestions!

Best,

Yan

Model: WNDR3700v1|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TheEther
Guru

Re: Configure route to be in the same LAN (N600 WNDR3700)

Yes, you want to put the WNDR3700 into Access Point mode.  The easiest method is to go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and enable it.  There, you will have the option to set the LAN IP address.  Alternatively, you can have the router use DHCP to dynamically obtain an IP address from your Prosafe.

The other method of disabling the DHCP server will also work.  The reason why you are running into trouble is that you must first remove the WAN IP address.  This will resolve the subnet conflict and allow you to set the LAN IP address to 192.168.1.xxx.  The final step is to connect one of the WNDR3700's LAN ports to the Prosafe.  IOW, leave the WAN port disconnected.

Just to be clear, these are two mutually exclusive options.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
TheEther
Guru

Yes, you want to put the WNDR3700 into Access Point mode.  The easiest method is to go to ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > Wireless AP and enable it.  There, you will have the option to set the LAN IP address.  Alternatively, you can have the router use DHCP to dynamically obtain an IP address from your Prosafe.

The other method of disabling the DHCP server will also work.  The reason why you are running into trouble is that you must first remove the WAN IP address.  This will resolve the subnet conflict and allow you to set the LAN IP address to 192.168.1.xxx.  The final step is to connect one of the WNDR3700's LAN ports to the Prosafe.  IOW, leave the WAN port disconnected.

Just to be clear, these are two mutually exclusive options.

Message 2 of 3
YZ2029
Aspirant

Thanks for the very helpful suggestion!

I solved the problem using the second method. Maybe because of old firmware issue, I couldn't find the enabling AP mode option. If anybody needs the detail step of how to disable DHCP service, you may also find below links helpful.

https://www.voipmechanic.com/turning-off-dhcp-wireless-netgear.htm

Do notice that you need to know your current wireless router's LAN IP to log into the router setting page when the wireless router is connected to PC via ethernet cable. In my case, the router's previous IP is 10.0.0.1. After disconnecting the cable between two routers, connecting the wireless router with PC, I open a browser on PC and type into 10.0.0.1 to log into the router setup page. This is different from above link, which says 192.168.0( or 1). I think 192.168.0( or 1).1 may be the default setting of the router.

Best,

Yan

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7