× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Firmware update email wndr 4500

Firmware update email wndr 4500

I got a email today to update my firmware on my wndr4500 for security reasons. After the update the Router no longer functions. I cant even login to it to it to downgrade the firmware. This update has in effect bricked my router. Is there any way to recover from such a stupid error that Netgear caused.

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions

Re: Firmware update email wndr 4500

Thats not waht I was told. While holding in the rest button then power on ur router lights will blink. It worked for me. I did a lot of research on this problem. My router had a blinking greeen power light. This indicates a curupt firmware issue. I found a fix this is what I did.
change ipv4 ip use the following ip 192.168.1.2
download tftp2
Enter 198.162.1.1 for server
pasword for router =password
Browse to ur path where the firmware u want to use is located.
Click update.

I was able to do this and fix my wndr4500. Im I happy I had to do extra work to fix this not at all

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 17

All Replies

I have done everything I know how to gain acess to the router after this firmware update.

1. tride to get in using 192.168.1.1 and 0.1

2. Reset the router to factory def.

light status is

power green

internet is amber

port is green

I pinged 198.162.1.1 and 01. I got no responce for the router.

Logical conclusion the firware made my router useless. Im begining to think Netgear did this on purpose s owe would have to buy another. What they failed to relaize Im not ever buying another Netgear product. Theres plenty of other solid companys to choose from. You dont need to spend 50$ to get soem help.

Message 2 of 17

Tried checking the IP address with ipconfig? Routers don't always pick the default.

Have you restarted the whole network, including the modem, in the right order?

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.
Message 3 of 17

Yes multiple times. Im pretty good configuring my network. I can normally figure out when I run into issues. After this last update the router no longer works properly. If you connect ur router directly to ur PC u should be able to login to it with 198.162.1.1 or the web adrees routerlogin. Ping will aslo tell u the ip its using.

2.4/5ghz led light will not turn on

Can not ping the router to find what its ip is.

I already purchased a new router. Netgear lost me as a cutomer and respect for doing a release that can have such dire results. .

Message 4 of 17

Forgive me, I do not speak gibberish, so I find it hard to read what you are saying.

So, let's narrow it down.

@Hammerhead11111 wrote:

Yes multiple times.

What, multiple times? Hardware reset?

If you connect ur router directly to ur PC u should be able to login to it with 198.162.1.1 or the web adrees routerlogin. Ping will aslo tell u the ip its using.

Several problems in there. The addresses 198.162.1.1 and routerlogin are not the only possibilities.

Ping will not tell you the IP address.

I suggested using ipconfig to get the IP address, an easy one for someone pretty good at configuring a network. That might have revealed the correct ip address for the router.

But you have now moved on to a different brand. One warning, though, many router makers use the same approaches to accessing their hardware. Hope you never hit problems there too.

Message 5 of 17

Thats not waht I was told. While holding in the rest button then power on ur router lights will blink. It worked for me. I did a lot of research on this problem. My router had a blinking greeen power light. This indicates a curupt firmware issue. I found a fix this is what I did.
change ipv4 ip use the following ip 192.168.1.2
download tftp2
Enter 198.162.1.1 for server
pasword for router =password
Browse to ur path where the firmware u want to use is located.
Click update.

I was able to do this and fix my wndr4500. Im I happy I had to do extra work to fix this not at all

Message 6 of 17
beachbaby
Aspirant

Trying to update firmware. Got a pop up saying authentication required, but it also said that my connection with the site is not private! Why update firmware if it's not private? This doesn't make sense to me.

Model: WNDR4500v2|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 7 of 17

@Hammerhead11111 wrote:

Thats not waht I was told.

As I explained when you posted exactly the same information elsewhere, whichever unknown person told you that was wrong.

Re: Locked out after Nighthawk firmware update - NETGEAR Communities

Press the reset button when the router is turned on. The manoeuvre you describe is for a different, more drastic, reset process.

As before, I mention this only to warn people that this information is suspect. The sledgehammer approach can be dangerous. There may be simpler ways of fixing this problem.

Message 8 of 17

@beachbaby wrote:

Trying to update firmware. Got a pop up saying authentication required, but it also said that my connection with the site is not private! Why update firmware if it's not private? This doesn't make sense to me.

Where did you see this popup and warning?

Could it be your browser and its security settings? Netgear has no control over that.

Message 9 of 17
beachbaby
Aspirant

It popped up in google. How can I update without being at risk?

Message 10 of 17

@beachbaby wrote:

How can I update without being at risk?

Download from the web site and apply manually.

>>>>> WNDR4500 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

The release notes explain what to do:

WNDR4500 Firmware Version 1.0.1.46 | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Then again what does "in google" mean. Chrome? Google search? Something else?

Message 11 of 17
DrRussKennewick
Aspirant

I just had the same experience when I used Genie to update my firmware on my WNDR4500.  I have updated several times previously on this router with no incidents.  HOWEVER, this time, the update corrupted my eprom, and I now have a bricked router.  I get the flashing green power light and have no way, that I am aware of, to save this 5 year old router from extinction. So, my word of advice is, be aware that even if you do everything correctly, and use Netgear software, you still run the risk of turning a perfectly functioning, albeit dated, router into a beautiful plastic paperweight.

@Hammerhead11111 wrote:

I got a email today to update my firmware on my wndr4500 for security reasons. After the update the Router no longer functions. I cant even login to it to it to downgrade the firmware. This update has in effect bricked my router. Is there any way to recover from such a stupid error that Netgear caused.

Model: WNDR4500|N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router|EOL
Message 12 of 17

Message 13 of 17
DrRussKennewick
Aspirant

No, I hadn't seen that post.  I have downloaded the info and will give it a shot.  This will be the second time I have pulled this router out of the trash can in the last two three days.. LOL.   Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  ITMT, I did replace this router with a Nighthawk AC2300, but if I can salvage my WNDR, I know of a good home.. 🙂

@michaelkenward wrote:

Bummer. Did you see this?

How to resolve amber LEDs or a blinking power LED on NETGEAR routers | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 14 of 17

Good luck. You may need it.

AC2300 isn't a Netgear model number. Do you mean the R7000P?

Message 15 of 17
DrRussKennewick
Aspirant

Yeah, my bad... it's the AC2300 class.. it is, indeed the Nighthawk R7000P.  While its a nice upgrade, I would have preferred to NOT spend the $200 bucks right now.. 🙂  

@michaelkenward wrote:

Message 16 of 17
DrRussKennewick
Aspirant

@DrRussKennewick wrote:

Yeah, my bad... it's the AC2300 class.. it is, indeed the Nighthawk R7000P.  While its a nice upgrade, I would have preferred to NOT spend the $200 bucks right now.. 🙂  

@michaelkenward wrote:

Latest update is, the procedure was a complete failure, with no ping response from the router.  So, for the third and last time I have tossed the WNDR 4500 into the trash and will now enjoy my R7000P, until it quits.. 😉  Thanks for the input!

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7