× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N600 WNDR3700v4 keeps dropping and no range

shooshoousa
Aspirant

N600 WNDR3700v4 keeps dropping and no range

I have had this router for 2-3 years with no problems.  Now I keep losing internet connection and/or I have no range.  Previously I could carry my laptop to any room in the house, but now it only works in the same room where the modem is located.

I have checked to see if there is any new firmware.  The Genie is telling me I have the latest. V1.0.2.78

I have restarted the modem and router many times...and that is normally what I need to do when I lose connection.  The modem and router are separate units, not integrated.  The modem is DOCSIS 3.0.

I have reset the modem to factory setting using the button on the bottom of the router.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else to try?

Or is it just time to upgrade to AC?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
William10a
Master

Re: N600 WNDR3700v4 keeps dropping and no range

A Ac standard router would be a step up and if a WNDR3700V4 cover and worked great in your home  a R7000 router should work for you but before run out to get a new router the latest firmware for  yours is 1.0.2.80. I would check and up date if needed. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
William10a
Master

@shooshoousa wrote:

I have had this router for 2-3 years with no problems.  Now I keep losing internet connection and/or I have no range.  Previously I could carry my laptop to any room in the house, but now it only works in the same room where the modem is located.

I have checked to see if there is any new firmware.  The Genie is telling me I have the latest. V1.0.2.78

I have restarted the modem and router many times...and that is normally what I need to do when I lose connection.  The modem and router are separate units, not integrated.  The modem is DOCSIS 3.0.

I have reset the modem to factory setting using the button on the bottom of the router.

Does anyone have any suggestions of anything else to try?

Or is it just time to upgrade to AC?

If the modem is just a modem without a router in it the router should work fine if covered your home before did the problem start before or after any changes like a firmware update or a update from your isp?

Is the router acting normally with its lights or are they changing when the problem happens?

Do you have a computer with a wired lan port on it that you could connect it to the modem to see if you lose the internet from the isp or getting it at the modem?

Message 2 of 9
shooshoousa
Aspirant

I am unaware of an updates from isp.  But I suppose something could have been received automatically.  I am wondering if I contact them if they can tell me when my last update occurred.

The lights on the router and the modem do not seem to change when I lose connection.

I have hardwired to the modem and receive signal.

It's definitely baffling me.  It shouldn't be that hard...it's pretty much been a plug and play situation up until now.

Message 3 of 9
William10a
Master

A Ac standard router would be a step up and if a WNDR3700V4 cover and worked great in your home  a R7000 router should work for you but before run out to get a new router the latest firmware for  yours is 1.0.2.80. I would check and up date if needed. 

Message 4 of 9
shooshoousa
Aspirant

I now have the latest firmware. 1.0.2.80
I was not being shown that version in the genie, but was able to download from Netgear site and update.

So I am seeing an available network...but not the 5G option on my laptop.  Both the 2.4 and 5 GHz networks are broadcasting.  I can see both options on my smart TV and phones.  But only one option on my laptop.  And if I move away from the router...futher than 5 ft...I lose connection.

I just booted up my work laptop and I see both network options now on that laptop....and it seems to work in another room.  So there is progress.

I have the two laptops side by side in a room about 25 feet from the router.  One sees both network options and is still connected to the 5G option and getting a super fast speed (100 mbps) at speedtest.net.  The other laptop has lost connection and says "No internet, secured". 

This is great that a firmware update could make this much difference. 

Got any ideas of anything I need to check on my laptop?  I'm running Windows 10. Is there something I need to clear from my computer or reset?  Or do I need to move to a Windows 10 forum?  Smile.

In a world where so much bad stuff seems to be reported, I feel blessed that a stranger would reach out to me with so much kindness.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Message 5 of 9
shooshoousa
Aspirant

I have determined that my home laptop does not support 5GHz

By using the cmd line "netsh wlan show drivers", I have determined that my computer only has 2.4 GHz network capability.

I have 802.11n 802.11g and 802.11b network modes, and according to the article I read, it means the computer has 2.4GHz network capability only.

I am playing around with some power settings to see if that is causing the loss of wifi, because I am switching to battery when I move the computer to another room.

Message 6 of 9
William10a
Master

On the laptop you could use a usb wifi adaptor and have both 2.4 and 5ghz bands with the ac standard for for when you make the jump a ac standard router the usb wifi adaptor should work on the N band for the minute.

Message 7 of 9
shooshoousa
Aspirant

Now that I have things working, I am adding a little extra info for anyone else that might be looking.
I changed my power settings for when my laptop was unplugged...which would be when I moved the laptop further from the router. I set the sleep to "none".

The combination of all things in this thread has me back up and running on all devices, and at the fast speeds I am paying for.
Message 8 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thank you for sharing @shooshoousa

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements