× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

WNDR3700 as wireless access point?

sktn77a
Virtuoso

WNDR3700 as wireless access point?

I have a Netgear WNDR3700.  As there is no v1, v2, v3 after the model, I am assuming it is a v1 - am I correct in that assumption?  It has firmware version 1.0.7.98NA (looks like the original or early firmware).  I want to use this router as an access point (my R7000 will be my DHCP server and the WNDR3700 will be connected via ethernet cable to the R7000 (in a different area of the house).  

There is no option in the firmware for wireless access point - only repeater, which I don't want.  Am I missing something?  Can the WNDR3700 not be used as an access point?  Do I need a later version firmware to be able to do this?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Model: WNDR3700|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Re: WNDR3700 as wireless access point?

Well, got everything up and running but the router has a problem on the 2.4GHz band - weak, almost non-existen broadcast power.  I was going to keep it and just use the 5GHz band but then decided to toss it and get one that works.  Yea, Craigslist (not)!

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 12

All Replies
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Well, I bit the bullet, assumed I had a v1 version of the router and updated to the latest v1 firmware.  There is now an "enable AP" option which I have checked.  I'll see if it works as an access point in my system (replacing an old WNR2000) and report back.

Message 2 of 12
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Well, got everything up and running but the router has a problem on the 2.4GHz band - weak, almost non-existen broadcast power.  I was going to keep it and just use the 5GHz band but then decided to toss it and get one that works.  Yea, Craigslist (not)!

Message 3 of 12
WickedDum
Aspirant

sktn77a seems to be on the right track...but I think the train left without me...Smiley Frustrated

My main router:  Linksys Smart Wi-Fi EA6350.  It's connected to my ISP (Cox) modem for the Internet.  It ialso maintains the DHCP server with reserved IPs.  It is connected to a Netgear GS108Tv2 gigabit switch.  The Smart Wi-Fi router is hard-wired to my main PC (via the switch).  I am configuring the WNDR3700 from my laptop.  

The WNDR3700 (my intended AP) has a reserved IP (x.x.x.125).  When I select No DHCP and enter the reserved static IP on the WNDR3700, it reboots.  I cannot get back into it at this point - without resetting it to factory defaults and starting all over.  Four or five times and counting...  I've tried 192.168.1.1, 10.100.10.1 (gateway), 10.100.10.125.  It is hard-wired to my laptop but I cannot ping it or see it.  Due to the locations in my house, I am planning to have the AP connect to the Smart W-Fi via wireless.  But, at this point, I cannot even get it configured...

There is a thread in this community entitled "Configuring WNDR 3700 as Access Point only?" with dates from 2009-2013.  I tried to follow those directions/suggestions, too.  There is a link that was provided twice, but it is broken (non-existent):  http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965.

Are there step-by-step instructions that I can follow?  Or could somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong?  I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!!

Model: WNDR3700v3|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 4 of 12
sktn77a
Virtuoso

The latest software has a box "access point" which I checked and didn't turn off dhcp (i know, i should have but i figured the access point checkmark would do this in the background). You should be able to access the router on your laptop from its reserved address (?)
Message 5 of 12
sktn77a
Virtuoso

A couple of other thoughts:

Are you switching off your laptop's wifi before you connect the WNDR3700 by ethernet?

Leave DHCP on and see what happens.  (If you don't have it on, how does your computer get an IP adress from it for you to access it) (?) Under Router status, see if it says DHCPClient.

Are you inputting the MAC address of the WNDR3700 along with its reserved address (sorry, I don't remember how this works on the Linksys).

When I tried to connect the WNDR3700 to the network via the WAN port (per the Netgear documentation) - nothing. I had to connect it via one of its LAN ports.

If all else fails, try pinging June (jmizoguchi) on this forum - he seems to have backed off  posting of late but may be available by PM.

Message 6 of 12
WickedDum
Aspirant

Thanks, sktn77a!

I am NOT able to access the WNDR3700 (AP) using its reserved address (10.100.10.125), the default address (192.168.1.1 or .2), or the gateway (10.100.10.1).  I know, the gateway shouldn't work anyway...  But, when you're out of options....

The Laptop wifi is not on.  The IP of the laptop and the WNDR3700 are both reserved anyway - using their MAC addresses.  DHCP lease is for 24hrs so the AP and the laptop IPs are known. 

"Under Router status, see if it says DHCPClient."  Which router?  The WNDR3700 (AP) or the Linksys EA6350 (main router)?

I might give June a ping.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 12
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Under router status - the wndr3700.
Message 8 of 12
WickedDum
Aspirant

Thanks.

I de-selected DHCP on the configuration page for the WNDR3700.  It does not say "DHCP Client".

I've been trying to think how I could explain this better.  I'm thinking that I can provide screenshots of the different configuration screens to ensure I am doing it correctly.  And it would be a good record for anyone else that tries this same in-home wifi configuration.  I'll try to complete it this weekend.

My main problem remains:  When I enter the reserved IP address - 10.100.10.125 in this case - I still canNOT get back into the WNDR3700 without pushing the factory reset button...  Any more thoughts?

Message 9 of 12
sktn77a
Virtuoso

Well, your laptop isn't getting an IP address from the WNDR3700 when its hard-wired to it.  

Did you try "routerlogin.net"?

Do you have the latest firmware?

Have you tried leaving DHCP on (wndr3700)?

Message 10 of 12
WickedDum
Aspirant

Thank you for your help!

I haven't had to a chance to get pictures yet...

"your laptop isn't getting an IP"  But...I can access the router after I reset it...

Did you try "routerlogin.net"?  Yes

Do you have the latest firmware?  Yes

Have you tried leaving DHCP on (wndr3700)?  No.  I set a reserved IP on it.  I added the gateway, but no DNS.  I figured all was well.  Guess it isn't, cuz I'm asking for help...

I have progressed a bit...

After I modified the wireless adapter, putting in the reserved IP.  I turned on wifi on my laptop and it connected.  I would like to know if I erred somewhere.  I believe these are the important screens:

Adv-SetUp-IntSetup-1.jpg

Adv-SetUp-IntSetup-2.jpg

Adv-SetUp-LANSetup.jpg

Adv-AdvSetUp-WireSet.jpg

If you don't see any errors, I'll move it to the front of the house and try to connect a couple of different ways.

I do appreciate your help.  I know it takes time...

Message 11 of 12
WickedDum
Aspirant

It's been in the front of the house for several days.  No luck.  The connection keeps dropping. 

Any thoughts folks?

An additional question:  How can you tell if your laptop, etc. received its connection from the AP?

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7