Who Me Too'd this topic

ReadyNASser
Tutor

iTunes Server '[Server name] has no music.'

I've succeeded in copying a family member's iTunes Media folder to a share exclusively for their iTunes media on the RN526X, and I have left their iTunes library files on their Mac, as per Netgear recommendation. After redirecting iTunes to the new location of their iTunes Media folder, I consolidated their library (File>Library>Organize Library>Consolidate files), and now everything plays back on their Mac exactly as it did before I copied their iTunes Media folder to the NAS.

I would like to be able to play music from this family member's iTunes library on my Mac, so I tried enabling iTunes Server on the share. When I launch iTunes from my Mac, I can see the iTunes Server, but when I successfully log in with the password I set up, I am always greeted with a message stating "[iTunes Server name] has no music."

I thought maybe the folder structure might have something to do with it (the Netgear help article for this topic shows no folder structure on the share in its example). So I copied a few music files from [Share]/iTunes Media/Music/[Artist] to [Share], but I am still greeted with the same "has no music" message. I also tried creating a Music folder in [Share]/Music (mimicking treating [Share] as iTunes Media), but after copying a few artist folders to [Share]/Music, that didn't work either.

After extensive searching on this and other forums, I've so far been unable to get around the "has no music" message. I know Home Sharing is also an option (although not as convenient because it requires the other Mac to be on as well), and I haven't tried Plex yet, so if I can't get iTunes Server to work, I understand Plex can likely do what I want (and more).

Some additional notes: My RN526X is running the latest firmware (6.9.3). And all Macs are running the latest versions and updates of macOS (10.13 High Sierra) and iTunes. Aside from HTTP/HTTPS, Antivirus, File Search, and iTunes Server, the only NAS system service I currently have enabled is SMB. I tried enabling AFP, but that didn't help. I also have UPnP disabled on my router (and NAS), but enabling that in both places didn't help either.

Model: RN526X| ReadyNAS 526X 6-Bay with up to 60TB total storage
Who Me Too'd this topic