Who Me Too'd this topic

alanbc
Star

Separate 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz on Orbi 50 (again)

I have WiFi cameras that require a connection to a 2.4GHz network.  (Most do, near as I can tell).  They also require the tablet/phone to be on the same network AND also the same speed network.

ASTONISHINGLY, to me, there is no way to accomplish this with my RBR50!  I cannot turn off the 5 GHz network long enough to perform the task nor can I pick a different name for the 5 GHz network.  Maybe it's a mesh thing, because I have three other (non-mesh) routers here that all allow me to do both.  The Orbi is the only one lacking this seemingly primitive functionality.

I did see another post on the subject where the expert suggested disabling the SSID broadcast of the 5 GHz network and called the issue "solved".  Unfortunately, that doesn't work for modern versions of Android O/S.  Modern versions, if they see a 2.4GHz network that's broadcasting its SSID, will check to see if there's a 5 GHz of the same name and if so, use that preferentially.

Now, I can just power down the Orbis, fire up an old router (configured to use the same SSID and password as the Orbi), configure the cameras, down the old router and fire up the Orbis.

But that's nuts!

Is there any way to get the RBK50 to do the things my 15 year old routers will do?  Some command line option?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Who Me Too'd this topic