× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 wifi to ethernet speed

jwmendes
Aspirant

XR500 wifi to ethernet speed

Hello everybody,

I'm trying to track down an issue where network speeds between a device connected to wifi and another device connected by ethernet is very slow, specifically below 200kbps. When both devices are on wifi or ethernet then the network speed is acceptable (i.e.: greater than 250Mbps on wifi and greater than 600Mbps on ethernet (cat5e)). I'm currently running firmware version 2.3.2.56 and have tried the following:

• Restarting
  • Turning off QoS/Bufferbloat
  • Reverting firmware to previous version
  • Disabling VLAN tagging (requried for ISP)
  • Turning off 2.4Ghz wifi

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

~John

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 wifi to ethernet speed

Just to clarify when they're using the same connection method the speed is fine but when one uses wifi and the other uses ethernet then you run into speed issues on both? It only happens with these two devices? What are the devices?
Message 2 of 16
jwmendes
Aspirant

Correct; this issue only happens when the two devices are not using the same connection type. I’m using two MacBook pros and a raspberry pi for testing.
Message 3 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Wow that is very strange. In the Device Manager do they have an appropriate device type? When they're connected in different ways they will appear as another device so important to make sure you know what they are. Are you using the Geo-Filter with these devices at all?
Message 4 of 16
jwmendes
Aspirant

I agree it's very strange.

I've verified that the "Device Type" for the Raspberry Pi is set to "Computer" and the one for the Macbook Pro is set to "Laptop" (changing it to "Computer" did nothing).

I am not using any geo filtering; i.e.: there are no devices within Geo-Filter.

To put into perspecitve what I'm seeing, here's the results from using iperf from a Macbook Pro to Raspberry Pi:

Over Ethernet:

> iperf -l 128k -c 192.168.1.24
------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 192.168.1.24, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  128 KByte (default)
[  4] local 192.168.1.90 port 49758 connected with 192.168.1.24 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   383 MBytes   321 Mbits/sec

Over Wifi:

> iperf -l 128k -c 192.168.1.24
Client connecting to 192.168.1.24, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:  129 KByte (default)
[  4] local 192.168.1.132 port 49783 connected with 192.168.1.24 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-14.7 sec   254 KBytes   142 Kbits/sec

I also noticed that while the ethernet bandwidth is relatively consistent the bandwidth using wifi varies greatly. Here are the last 3 performance metrics over wifi:

• 0.0-11.4 sec  1.46 MBytes  1.08 Mbits/sec

• 0.0-14.7 sec   254 KBytes   142 Kbits/sec

• 0.0-14.6 sec  1.09 MBytes   626 Kbits/sec

Message 5 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the extra information, have you done any port forwarding at all? Specifically port 80 or 443? If you give the devices both wifi/ethernet versions a reserved IP in LAN Settings and then reboot the router does that help?
Message 6 of 16
jwmendes
Aspirant

No port forwarding. And giving them both IPs using address reservation did not improve the performance. 

I really appreciate the help; I'm at the end of my ideas. Maybe I'll look into installing OpenWRT on to it.

~John

Message 7 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you try disabling MU-MIMO/HT160/Beamforming in Advanced WiFi settings and see if that helps at all? (Speeds may drop but not to the level you're seeing). Also is it possibly the fault of the Pi itself? It's a fairly niche device and while powerful for it's size but not be getting on with the routers settings.
Message 8 of 16
mattwillmart
Aspirant

I have a similar issue.  ISP requires VLAN tagging and my Western Digital MyCloud slows to a CRAWL with this setup.  It's so slow I can't even load the administration webpage.  (Every other device in the house is wireless, so suspect this is the same issue)

Disabling vlan tagging and running a double NAT with my ISP-issued modem seems to make the MyCloud work again.  Been battling this for a while but just haven't had the time to contact support.  

Tried again today after giving up about six months-ish ago hoping that a firmware update had fixed this.  Quite disappointing being that this was the most expensive router in the store when I purchased it!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 9 of 16
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

As a temporary solution to the double NAT you could give the XR500 a static IP and put it in the DMZ of the ISP modem/router. I can give you instructions on how to do that if you want?

Message 10 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

@mattwillmart wrote:

I have a similar issue.  ISP requires VLAN tagging and my Western Digital MyCloud slows to a CRAWL with this setup.  It's so slow I can't even load the administration webpage.  (Every other device in the house is wireless, so suspect this is the same issue)

Disabling vlan tagging and running a double NAT with my ISP-issued modem seems to make the MyCloud work again.  Been battling this for a while but just haven't had the time to contact support.  

Tried again today after giving up about six months-ish ago hoping that a firmware update had fixed this.  Quite disappointing being that this was the most expensive router in the store when I purchased it!

Message 11 of 16
jwmendes
Aspirant

I disabled BEAMFORMING and MU-MIMO (HT160 was already disabled) with no effect, I still experienced excess slow performance while going from wifi to ethernet.

I'm pretty sure it's not the Pi, I was able to duplicate this issue with two MacBook Pros.

Thanks,

~John

Message 12 of 16
jwmendes
Aspirant

Unfortunatly disabling VLAN tagging did not help my issue (though I did not attempt to add the NAT since the test doesn't need access to the public network).

Thanks,

~John

Message 13 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I think probably the best course of action now would be to do a factory reset and see if the issue persists after that as I can't see any reason on the router that this could be happening.
Message 14 of 16
mattwillmart
Aspirant

I've factory reset in an effort to troubleshoot the problem I'm having. Unfortunately it returns when I turn vlan tagging on.

I've since shucked the MyCloud drive and put it in my desktop as a workaround, so unfortunately I won't be able to test anymore.
Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's a really weird unique issue but totally understand that you just want to get on, if you decide to switch back and try again let us know and we can see if there are any other things we can do.
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7